Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old May 1, 2013   #91
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

Actually, Feldon, that's one of the ones I hoped to can up this year.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #92
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I make that recipe and can it in my pressure canner. I haven't had any problems. Just finished my last quart a few weeks ago.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #93
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I pressure can my sauce, similar in ingredients to the one at UGA, for 30 minutes at ten pounds pressure. I give the extra five minutes because my sauce is thicker than most. If you are using a pressure canner there is no reason you can't can your family sauce. I can over 100 quarts of spaghetti type sauce a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #94
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherB View Post

But why? Why would the processing time and pressure between their sauce and my own be any different? I guess I could see some slight differences due to the thickness of the sauce, maybe, but you could see the same difference when using THEIR recipe! Using their recipe on an electric stove in Miami will produce a different consistency than if using the same recipe on a gas stove in Phoenix. If in doubt, why would simply adding 5 lbs pressure and an extra five minutes not be sufficient?
Let's cut to the chase. Yes you can use your own recipe. Just no one will stick their neck out and admit it due to potential liabilities. I have been getting away with it for years though.

Disclaimer: The advise given in this post is my own opinion and should not be taken as official Tville policy. Use at your own risk.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013   #95
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

In my opinion, the "approved" recipes are excessively conservative. They define "unsafe" as any recipe not proven safe and deny the concept of degrees of safety, confusing "possible" with "probable". Yes adding low acid vegetables will raise the pH, and botulism spores can grow at higher pHs (>4.6), but it is extremely rare with tomato products. I have been canning my own tomatoe recipes for over 35 years and believe it is very safe.

This thread gives an interesting and vigorous discussion of various views on this topic:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...133824505.html

TomNJ/VA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2013   #96
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I have! Definitely a different taste than my regular sauce. Really wasn't for me and didn't try it again.
Not that it was bad, just not what I like in a sauce.
Same as you, one plant was enough to try it any how!

Good luck!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2013   #97
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I've been making fresh pasta sauce with my sungolds...a little garlic, basil, onions, etc and it goes on fresh ravioli. yummy and beautiful
Old October 16, 2013   #98
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Default Making Hot Sauce

At the end of the growing season, I like to make hot sauce.

Pick, clean, and cut the stems off all remaining hot peppers (Red Paper Lantern Habaneros, Jalapenos, Santa Fe Grande, Joe's Long Cayennes, etc...)

Photo1 (6).jpg

Pulverize them into a thick paste in the food processor:

Photo1 (7).jpg

Add about 2 tablespoons of salt per pound of peppers and place in a loosely covered glass jar. Place on the countertop to ferment for 24 hours.

Photo1 (8).jpg

I'll add the vinegar tonight and allow to ferment on the countertop for an additional 7 days. I like to add some caramelized fruit to my hot sauce to add a sweet element to the sauce after the 7 day ferment. I am going to try mango this year.

This is the original recipe from Bon Appetit Magazine:

1 pound stemmed fresh chiles (such as jalapeño, serrano, Fresno, or habanero; use one variety or mix and match)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
Preparation
Pulse chiles and kosher salt in a food processor until a coarse purée forms. Transfer to a 1-qt. glass jar, loosely screw on lid, and let stand at room temperature for 12 hours to ferment slightly.
Stir in vinegar and loosely screw on lid. Let chile mixture stand at room temperature for at least 1 day and up to 7 days. (Taste it daily; the longer it sits, the deeper the flavor becomes.)
Purée mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Place a fine-mesh sieve inside a funnel. Strain mixture through sieve into a clean glass bottle. (Hot sauce will become thinner and may separate after you strain it; shake vigorously before each use.) DO AHEAD: Can be made up to 4 months ahead. Keep refrigerated.

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...#ixzz27yUFsbng
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2013   #99
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

This sound good! I've never heard of fermenting hot sauce. I agree on the fruit addition...love hot fruity salsa. Great combination.
Old October 16, 2013   #100
jack03111969
Tomatovillian™

Yes indeed it looks and sounds good......
jack03111969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2013   #101
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I use the same recipe. Last year I made some plain, and then another batch with peppers that my husband threw in his BBQ smoker and heavily smoked just until a bit soft. Both were very good.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2013   #102
sicily
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting this I have many peppers to process and this recipe looks great!
sicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2013   #103
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

my,Korean Wife makes her Korean Hot Sauce every year using sweet rice, Korean Peppers,She tosses in a couple other spices and ferments it over the following winter/spring. It's called Ko Chu Jang and the Koreans become my wife's best friend every summer. Will try to get the exact recipe later.
Old October 17, 2013   #104
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting this. I'm trying it right now. Tastes great even before the vinegar
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2013   #105
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I use the same ingredients, but a different procedure.

1lb Thai Hots or Cayennes coarsely chopped. Weigh after stems and caps are removed. Do not remove seeds.
2 cups of white vinegar.
1 teaspoon salt.

Put all ingredients into a small pot, boil then turn to a simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour into blender and whoop the snot out of it...'till it's creamy smooth.
pour into a glass 2 qt. container with lid, let cool, and store in the back of the fridge for 2 wks. to ferment. After 2 wks. run it through a fine strainer, using the back of a table/soup spoon to press out all the goodness. If too thick adjust viscosity with additional vinegar.

Do not throw away the solids. Dry them out and run them through a spice grinder...I use an old coffee grinder. You'll find a use for it

Last edited by Got Worms?; October 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote