Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old January 13, 2008   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Peas for 2008

Who plans to grow peas this year? Tall peas, short peas, sugar snap, snow, and shelling peas?

I'm growing two tall varieties this year. I grew Amish Snap last year and really liked it so it will be back. I want to freeze some of them this time, too. I'm trying a new snow pea, Russian Sugar, from Baker Creek, too. I look forward to both. I've tried to grow peas in the fall here but have not had much success so I stick to spring grown peas. Anybody else?
Old January 13, 2008   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Sugar Snaps here. Really I could have started them anytime in the last 2 months.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2008   #3
celestina
Tomatovillian™

I'll be growing Amish Snap Pea and Golden Sweet Edible podded Pea, 6ft, which, according to SSE was originally collected in a market in India. First year growing both of these.
celestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2008   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Celestina, let us know what you think about the Golden Sweet. I'm curious about the yellow color once cooked. I think you'll be happy with the Amish Snap.
Old January 13, 2008   #5
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

I have Greenfeast, a sheller, in at the moment. I'll put in some Onward, an excellent English sheller, for overwintering. In spring, I'll put in more Onward (I do like this one), the only pole snap available, Sugar Snap, and the snow pea Oregon Giant. Just for colour in the garden I'll plant some Capucijner, a Dutch soup pea with beautiful flowers and pods.
Old January 13, 2008   #6
celestina
Tomatovillian™

I will let you know about Golden Sweet--but if they are too good--they may never make it into the kitchen!
celestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2008   #7
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I'll be planting Sugar Snap, Sugar Ann, and Caselode (an English shelling pea). I eat ALL of the Caselode out in the garden--they are for garden snacking only. The sugar snaps are for both fresh and freezing. Last year I lost 90% of the crop to that late freeze that hit so many regions. Am hoping not to repeat that this year.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2008   #8
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

To me, all garden veggies taste better right off the vine but three stand out.
1 - tomatoes, of course
2 - carrots - most never even make it inside
3 - peas

Last year was my first year at growing peas and I have to say, I may have them in my garden for the rest of my life. OMG were they good. I was always told that fresh peas are a world apart from canned, yech, or frozen but I never thought the taste difference would be so huge.

Anyway, I grew Eclipse garden peas from Vermont Bean. My favorite place for beans and peas. Medium sized pea, very easy to shell. My wife and I would shell them sitting in front of the boob-tube for an hour or so at night. Next day, blanched them and into bags via a seal-a-meal. Using the same ones again this spring.
I put them in the ground extra early with my snow peas, which I HAVE grown over the last 6-7 years. They sprouted an shruged off most frosts. Those in the SE may remember a BIG freeze last spring. Well, only a few got damaged. They held up nicely. Got more peas than I thought I would.

Snow peas did well too. Planted Goliath and Oregon Sugar pod. Both did very well.

Just planted snow peas in the past because I was told garden peas were too much work. Not the case. To me it was well worth it.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2008   #9
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Alderman an English heritage that grows to 7ft maybe. According to daughterofthesoil.blogspot it is really productive, more you pick...
I also have Alaskan Early and Lincoln Shelling.
I have not heard of Caselode any more info, Ruth?
We grow Golden Sweet but it is not a favourite - may not make the cut this year.
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2008   #10
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I grew Golden Sweet from Baker Creek last year--very productive and the pods were very tasty. Seemed to handle the heat and my poor watering better than other snow peas Going back into the garden this year...only snow pea that I am growing this year.

Trying Super Sugar Snap this year from Pine Tree...tried Sugar Snap last year and it was very good...seeing if SUPER is any better.

Bringing back Amish Snap too...good producer.
Old January 14, 2008   #11
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I will also be growing Russian Sugar, and Sugar Snap, along with another Heirloom I grew for the last 2 years and loved it eaten fresh off the vines, Ugg...the name slips my mind at the moment.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008   #12
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have not heard of Caselode any more info, Ruth?
Caselode is sold by Johnny's Selected Seeds. The catalog says excellent sweet taste, slow to turn starchy, pods average 2.5-3 inches and contain 6-7 medium sized peas. the 2.5 ft vines can be grown with or without support.

I would say I average about 4-5 peas per pod, but the rest is right on. They are very sweet and tender.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2008   #13
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

I've got seeds for both Oregon Sugar Pod and Golden Sweet. I should have planted them two months ago and then they would have been done in time for tomato planting. Now I'm trying to figure out where to put them that they won't be taking up valuable tomato room in six weeks.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2008   #14
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

I will be growing Onward and Hurst Green Shaft. I always get a great crop from Onward, Sometimes i grow Little Marvwl in tubs for an early crop in the greenhouse. They can be grown in containers,
Old January 19, 2008   #15
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Tom Thumb But I am doing a garden class with little ones and I thought it was toooo cute to pass up.
8 inch plant
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote