Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 29, 2010   #1
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Default Root Stimulators for Potting Up

I have observed what I believe to be significant improvement when potting up from flats to 4 inch containers by the use of Schultz Take Root rooting hormone. I went to the Home Depot looking for Rootone, but did not find it and substituted the Schultz product with very favorable results as compared to the control group.

Does anybody else have experience to share with the use of rooting hormones?

I dumped the powder onto a paper plate and dusted the roots while potting up my tomatoes and basil. I tried a small paintbrush but it was too tedious and not worth the extra effort. Simply dragging the roots through the powder did the trick.

I also used it when potting up from 4 inch containers to the 20 gallon size. Again, the stimulated plants took off faster.

This season I will try to be more scientific in my observations when comparing against the control group.

I would like to hear from any Tomatovillians with experience or opinions on this topic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schultztakeroot.jpg (19.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg rootone-f.jpg (47.2 KB, 26 views)
TheClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2010   #2
geoff1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClaw View Post
I have observed what I believe to be significant improvement when potting up from flats to 4 inch containers by the use of Schultz Take Root rooting hormone. I went to the Home Depot looking for Rootone, but did not find it and substituted the Schultz product with very favorable results as compared to the control group.

Does anybody else have experience to share with the use of rooting hormones?

I dumped the powder onto a paper plate and dusted the roots while potting up my tomatoes and basil. I tried a small paintbrush but it was too tedious and not worth the extra effort. Simply dragging the roots through the powder did the trick.

I also used it when potting up from 4 inch containers to the 20 gallon size. Again, the stimulated plants took off faster.

This season I will try to be more scientific in my observations when comparing against the control group.

I would like to hear from any Tomatovillians with experience or opinions on this topic.
Works for me...I use a liquid root stimulant. Paint the above medium stems just before transplanting, and plant deep. These plants always overtake their untreated brethren.
geoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2010   #3
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

What is it exactly? is it like the benifical fungi?
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2010   #4
John3
Tomatovillian™

OK what's the difference between rooting hormone and rooting stimulator
Couldn't find any of the Rootone or Schultz Take Root (local Wal Mart said both where pulled from being sold here) - the two local seed shops did have Rootone one hinted I should use a root stimulator instead - they are selling Hi-Yield Root Stimulator around here anyone knows the difference between the three?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (60.8 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by John3; April 2, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2010   #5
John3
Tomatovillian™

Attached is the MSDS sheets for Hi-Yield Root Stimulator
OK what does this mean
HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS
Ammonia, cyanic acid.
Found on Page2 - section6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (278.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (237.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-4.jpg (128.7 KB, 14 views)
Old March 29, 2010   #6
John3
Tomatovillian™

I talked with one of the feed stores people and he said that the rootone and Schultz is used for cuttings that you want to grow by placing some on where you cut and the root stimulator is for plants with roots.
Anyone got more info on this?

I also asked about the pour into the whole when planting - if they roots could be dipped into the solution he said he didn't see why not. So maybe mix a gallon up pour into a flat (or bucket if planting fruit trees) place the roots into the mixture and then move them from the mixture to the pot (or ground) then (in the case of tomatoes) divide up the mixture and pour that into the top of the pot. Does that make sense?
Old March 29, 2010   #7
artis
Tomatovillian™

John3,

According to the first page of the MSDS of your Hi-Yield Root stimulator, it contains ammonium phosphate, potassium chloride and urea, so it is basically a general purpose fertilizer. The fourth component (surfactant) is, plainly speaking, a version of soap. I would not get too worried about ammonia and cyanic acid, those are most likely decompositon products of urea if one heated it up at a really, really high temperature.

To be perfectly honest, I personally do not trust any of these "miracle products". I have never felt any need to stimulate root growth of my tomato seedlings. Then again, different people have different beliefs.
artis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2010   #8
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

After seeing this thread, I decided to test the results. I have been repotting my seedlings over the last few days. If I have three healthy seedlings of one variety, I dip the roots of one of them in the rootone and leave the others without. I did this with about 10 plants so far.

I will post my results to let everyone know if it does make a difference.
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2010   #9
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

I could give this a shot with my transplants. Lettuce, Basil, Tomatoes would be good to spread out the test. Half with rooting hormone half without. I have the Schultz Take Root (I think) but have not had much use of it yet.
Old April 3, 2010   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I use a mix of potting soil, compost, peat, and fresh mushroom compost. When I don't add the mushroom compost the root development is not nearly as strong; so I assume it is the result of the fungi in the mushroom compost. Trouble is I have lost my source for this great product and am nearly out.
Another thing I have noticed that seems to help root growth is letting the potted plants get fairly dry before giving them water. I guess this causes the roots to grow in search of water. It doesn't do the top of the plant much good but I think in the long run it is better for the plant which will have to survive the rigors of the garden.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote