Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 3, 2013   #31
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
I grow for my sauce and soup, Italian Heirloom, which I originally got at Seed Savers Exchange.
I grew Italian Heirloom from Seed Savers last year. It was an excellent, meaty tomato for processing. I found that I would get several different fruit forms on the same plant. Some were like the one you had pictured and some were definitely more heart shaped. Did you experience this as well? Is it normal to have vastly different forms on the same plant?

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013   #32
gardenjefe
Tomatovillian™

Best sauce I ever made was with a combo of Cherokee Purple with Sungolds.
gardenjefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013   #33
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksCountyGirl View Post
I grew Italian Heirloom from Seed Savers last year. It was an excellent, meaty tomato for processing. I found that I would get several different fruit forms on the same plant. Some were like the one you had pictured and some were definitely more heart shaped. Did you experience this as well? Is it normal to have vastly different forms on the same plant?
Yes BucksCountyGirl! I thought it was so strange too! But it did make it interesting. I had 6 plants and they put out small, perfectly round smooth fruits, heart shapes like in the picture, some were round and fluted. It was weird and I don't know why. But the reason it became my favorite for sauce, is a woman I met ( I can't even remember where or when...maybe the farmers market?) She told me to pick them a few days early and let them ripen on the counter top and they would be really sweet. I didn't think much of it but tried it and they were so much sweeter! The sauce and canning was fantastic. This is my go to sauce canner.

Lindsey
linzelu100 is offline   Reply With Quote