Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 24, 2015   #1
00approved
Tomatovillian™

Default newbie question. .plenty of flowers but only a few. ..

hello all,

I am New to growing tomatoes and have a question.
I am growing in 5 gal buckets on my deck I get tons of light and
plants are huge.,, I have TONS of flowers but only a few tomatoes
growing....I am using a quality organic soil and been feeding fish fertilizer and
Fox farm big bloom...help! please
00approved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #2
Jdubst13
Tomatovillian™

Chance are flowers are not getting pollinated. If you don't have a lot of bee's around you can hand pollinate by gently flicking them or the best way is to use an electric toothbrush directly on the flower.

-John
Jdubst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

temperature and humidity play a big part in fruit set, High humidity and temps above 85 will interfere with pollination.
If the blooms are not dropping off, just be patient, they may have set.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

One problem may be too many growth tips. Lots of stems will result in lots of blooms on most of the suckers and stems but usually I get very little fruit set when I allow too many stems to grow. I rarely let a plant have more than three or four stems. Another thing that will cause blooms to drop without pollinating is if the plants get too dry. The stress from that seems to cause a lot of blooms to just drop off. This is something I see during times when I am trying to lessen the water intake of my tomatoes to get better tasting fruit that is at the ripening stage. When I cut back severely on the watering to benefit the flavor I get a lot of blossom drop from blooms further up the plant. Of course extreme heat and humidity will lessen fruit set also.

I have found that weekly feedings of TTF helps my fruit set even in the hottest weather. Mulching the tops of the pots with a heavy mulch to keep the soil a little cooler and the moisture level more stable will also help.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #5
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I would also add to resist the temptation to over fertilize. Growing in containers is tricky and you will get lots of foliage and flowers but maybe not fruit. Like Karen said, be patient, many of those flowers will set fruit.
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote