Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 17, 2015   #1
RomanX
Tomatovillian™

Default Coffee grounds????

I've read mention of adding coffee grounds to soil to improve : the soil (for flower / veggie beds) and/or the flavor of tomatoes / veggies. I've also read that the coffee plant has allopathic tendencies, so do NOT add coffee grounds.

I have tomato containers, as well as a flower bed (still amending red clay soil, and I would swear there was a layer of caliche, too., if I wasn't in the wrong area! ).

Can (should) I add coffee grounds in my containers?? in my flower bed??
RomanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2015   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanX View Post
I've read mention of adding coffee grounds to soil to improve : the soil (for flower / veggie beds) and/or the flavor of tomatoes / veggies. I've also read that the coffee plant has allopathic tendencies, so do NOT add coffee grounds.

I have tomato containers, as well as a flower bed (still amending red clay soil, and I would swear there was a layer of caliche, too., if I wasn't in the wrong area! ).

Can (should) I add coffee grounds in my containers?? in my flower bed??
I use coffee grounds 2 ways. 1st way is in my compost and hugelkultur beds. The second way is a top dressing on the ground before I cover it with mulch. It seems to work great for me. Worms love it and worm activity helps condition the soil.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2015   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

They work wonders. Ignore any info stating otherwise.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2015   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

I've used them for several years as compost ingredients or directly on the soil, covered with mulch.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Me. too. More than 1000 pounds so far this winter. Great composting nitrogen - my compost heap was so hot 4 days after mixing 15 gallons of coffee grounds that I literally could not push my hand into the center without pain. All those shredded leaves and branches turning to dark crumbly soil for my toms.

Last edited by ScottinAtlanta; February 18, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #6
peppero
Tomatovillian™

It is good stuff.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #7
LDiane

Starbucks gives it away so this tea drinker can get buckets of coffee grounds. I thought mulching my vegetables with it would scare the deer off. It didn't.
Old February 21, 2015   #8
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad to hear this. I've been collecting my own coffee grounds all winter and sprinkling a layer on the bed I'll be planting lettuce into this spring (after loosely working them into the top couple inches of soil). I was thinking the N would be good for the lettuce and wonder if slugs won't like crawling across them.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #9
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanX View Post
I've also read that the coffee plant has allopathic tendencies
As long as the coffee grounds have been used to brew coffee first, I think most of those compounds have been eluted
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #10
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yeah it is just an organic fertilizer like say alfalfa, another of my favorites because it is high in nitrogen and cheap!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I personally consider coffee ground as a good soil amendment either in the pile or directly mixed into the beds. I won't depend on its immediate fertilizing value. YMMV
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #12
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I personally consider coffee ground as a good soil amendment either in the pile or directly mixed into the beds. I won't depend on its immediate fertilizing value. YMMV
I agree it's not like cottonseed meal. Still it's good for compost too to mix with carbon, like leaves. Get's the process going well.
I go through enough I do have to consider the nitrogen content. I try to spread it evenly everywhere in the garden. I try to use more with heavy feeders like onions, corn, etc.

NPK
coffee 2.1-.3-.3. Certainly heavy in nitrogen.
Alfalfa 2-1-2 (nice balance!)
worm castings 3.2-1.1-1.5
cottonseed 5-2-1
Plant-tone 5-3-3
Tomato Tone 3-4-6

Last edited by drew51; March 23, 2015 at 05:38 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #13
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I'm glad to hear this. I've been collecting my own coffee grounds all winter and sprinkling a layer on the bed I'll be planting lettuce into this spring (after loosely working them into the top couple inches of soil). I was thinking the N would be good for the lettuce and wonder if slugs won't like crawling across them.
Place a few shallow bowls in your garden so that the rims are even with the soil. Add some beer (use the cheap stuff). Slugs come for the party and don't leave.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote