Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 4, 2011   #1
markd42
Tomatovillian™

Default Pink Brandywine - WOW!!!

Finally tomatoes are ripening in earnest in my NY garden. It seems everything is coloring up all at once! Anyway, I harvested my first Pink (Sudduths) Brandywine this morning. I must say I had huge expecatations given the reviews of this variety and I must say WOW what flavor!! The perfect blend of sweet and acid. VERY sweet actually (even moreso than many of my cherry varieties) and such a nice acid note to balance the sweetness. And then that old time tomato flavor which seems to endlessly linger on the palate. WOw really nice. I have two plants that are really burdened with about 18 fruit each and they all seem to be coloring up all at once. Definitely a winner.
markd42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I also like it very much.

It is so nice to taste the first tomatoes of the season. Congratulations on your first WOW of the season!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011   #3
tedln

I grew Brandywine Pink this year in order to declare it not worth trying in the heat of Texas. Most folks told me it couldn't take the heat and had trouble pollinating in warm climates. I was wrong and can happily report it was one of the best growing, best tasting, and best producers in my garden. I did plant it out very early and had to protect it from frost a couple of times. I also shook the heck out of it almost daily to help pollination. I don't know if the shaking made the difference, but it produced a lot of large fruit. One of my two plants is still alive under shade cloth in 110 degree weather. I'm trying to nurse it along to see if it will bloom and produce in the fall.

Ted
Old August 4, 2011   #4
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

My first ever Brandwine has started blushing. It's still a few days away from being fully ripe and I can't wait to try it. I hope mine tastes as good as yours, Mark. It sounds like they do live up to the hype.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011   #5
kdoble
Tomatovillian™

If I were forced to grow only one tomato variety, B'wine Pink would be it. I wouldn't even have to think about. For my taste buds, there is not anything that comes close to the unique taste and balance. Just for fun, we did a taste test at the last family get together ~ yep, 12 out of 12 all agree with me soooooo worth the wait if you can get them to grow in your zone.
kdoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I was also surprised to successfully grow a Brandywine Sudduth's this year. I just pulled it up a few days ago after picking the last fruit. It made about 20 tomatoes with a few really large ones around a pound and a half. I also thought the taste was wonderful. I have tried growing it several times in the past with no luck but with the success this year it will have a spot every year from now on.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011   #7
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I was also surprised to successfully grow a Brandywine Sudduth's this year. I just pulled it up a few days ago after picking the last fruit. It made about 20 tomatoes with a few really large ones around a pound and a half. I also thought the taste was wonderful. I have tried growing it several times in the past with no luck but with the success this year it will have a spot every year from now on.
What do you think made the difference between this year and past years? What do you plan on doing in your garden this year different from years past to repeat this years success?

Ted
Old August 5, 2011   #8
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

I was so close to growing BW Sudduth's this year. Sounds like I need to save a spot or two for it next season.
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2011   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Ted: I didn't do anything different than with any of my plants. I just got lucky with Sudduth's this year. Some of my best tomatoes last year like Stump and NAR did very poorly. It did get unusually hot and dry very early this year with slightly less humidity than usual during fruit set.

Tim: I also had good luck with Brandywine Terhune which I liked even better. It is not as large a tomato but it had less tendency to split and had a better shelf life with better texture. If you need some seed let me know because I saved seed fro both of them and will try multiple plantings again next year. Both plants set well during the heat. As a matter of fact I have a second Terhune plant that I set out in mid May that set during the hottest weather this year and is still setting fruit.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2011   #10
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

Hi Bill,

I had a lot of splitting with Limbaugh's legacy, cowlicks and a few others as well.
My Box Car Willie did pretty well this year and is still setting fruit. The only LL that I planted is still setting fruit as well. Larry"CottonPicker" was kind enough to share some of his Terhune seed with me and I have a very small amount of the BW Sudduth seed hidden somewhere in my seed safe.
I will make a list of the new to me varieties that I have and send it to you to
see if you want some of them for next year.

Tim
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2011   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Finally tomatoes are ripening in earnest in my NY garden. It seems everything is coloring up all at once! Anyway, I harvested my first Pink (Sudduths) Brandywine this morning. I must say I had huge expecatations given the reviews of this variety and I must say WOW what flavor!! The perfect blend of sweet and acid. VERY sweet actually (even moreso than many of my cherry varieties) and such a nice acid note to balance the sweetness. And then that old time tomato flavor which seems to endlessly linger on the palate. WOw really nice. I have two plants that are really burdened with about 18 fruit each and they all seem to be coloring up all at once. Definitely a winner.
Mark, welcome to the world of Heirloom Tomatoes and Brandywine. Ami
Old August 7, 2011   #12
gnol
Tomatovillian™

Glad you are happy with them markd42. They are an awesome tomato.

I have to say Brandywine is one of my favourites. Quite possibly my all time favourite.
My dad used to grow them for many years and I would always be impatient to eat them. Of course then I never dreamed that I would one day be growing them.
gnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2011   #13
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I just picked my first ever Sudduth's Brandywine - I'm really looking forward to tasting my first.
Old August 17, 2011   #14
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

My daughter called today to confess that after raving over and over about how good her
Beefsteak Tomatoes were, she discovered that her husband had read the wrong label
and those wonderful, super delicious tomatoes were actually Pink Brandywines. LOL, no
wonder!!!
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011   #15
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

My "eyeball" method of measuring fruit production tells me that Brandywine (Sudduth) is my best producer this year. Lots of nice fruits. Weather here was hot and humid for June and July.

I am growing Terhune for the first time this year. Production has been less than that for BWS, Earl's Faux, and Cowlick. I've yet to do side by side taste tests.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote