Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 24, 2013   #16
Keger
Tomatovillian™

I think it has to be a winter crop. I planted mine, Pacman, in Oct, and had a great batch around Super Bowl time.

Just one of those nature deals I think.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2013   #17
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I usually have a great early spring crop with pacman. This is the first failure. I stopped back by Lowes today. They still had some pacman... heading in the cell packs Obviously a supply problem. I suggested to the attendant that it was time they three the brocolli plants out. She didn't seem to understand but said she would relay the message to a manager.

Fortunately I only had ten of these. I have forty more of my own and they look fine for now. If the weather will hold seasonable in May I shoud do finewith them. Always an adventure

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #18
roadrunner
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i hate packman and will never ever grow it again. worst performing broccoli i ever grew.

tom
I agree it has always been hit or miss. One year great next horrible.

I have had more problems with heat growing brocolli or cauliflower and always do better growing it here for a fall crop. I have had some good results with a brocolli seed called "Green Magic" which is very heat tolerant and heads form well right into mid summer.
Old May 1, 2013   #19
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have had more problems with heat growing brocolli or cauliflower and always do better growing it here for a fall crop.
i really don't have any trouble growing broccoli in the heat of july and august. the trick is watering. i plant out in mid may so by july the plants are large. i mulch the base with shredded leaves and create a well to hold water. when it's consistently in the upper 80's to mid 90's i water the plants every other day maybe every third day at the longest. each plant gets 1 gallon of water. they produce side shoots and grow very large and seem to not be effected by the heat. i've had times where it was in the upper 90's and low 100's and the broccoli still performed fine. i've done this with a few different varieties (green comet, atlantic, de ciccio and my best performing with large side shoots calabrese green sprouting).

if you have just a few plants then this is easy to do. i highly recommend calabrese green sprouting. it's easy to find and op. it is noted for large side shoots often 2" even 3" in diameter.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote