Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 4, 2010   #1
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple Haze F1

Are these plants and seeds no longer available? Is my best bet to panhandle for seeds from later filials? I've seen Rnewste's progress, and it looks great. I am curious to see/hear others' progress. I'm definitely hoping to grow PH next year and am starting to assemble my game plan now.

thanks,
Matt
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Keith Mueller makes the cross for Purple Haze. I sell F1 plants every year. RNewste swapped me some Wes seed which I badly needed for a very few Purple Haze. My suggestion is to either bribe Keith or else bribe me.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2010   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Matt,

By all means "bribe" DarJones if you want F1.

I have 2 Purple Haze F6 seedlings I put in their EarthTainers last week. All of the 30 seeds I started this Fall turned out to be PL. Hopefully, I will be getting some fruit before a freeze hits at the end of December, and will save seeds from these. My hope is that they will be fully stable (and with uniform fruit) by then.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2010   #4
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

I'm relieved to hear that f1's are still available...I didn't know if it was a limited thing. According to Laurel Garza, F1 seed is 'no longer available.' I should have known better than to trust that!

I will gladly purchase from you to support the good cause. Maybe I'll try an f1 and another generation for fun. The F1's I tasted were extraordinary.

Raybo- Glad to hear how much progress you've made. Nice work. I'm eager to see/taste your line

Matt
Old October 5, 2010   #5
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

AHHHH but you can't ship to CA! Who can??

I was so close to glory!

matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Keith Mueller makes the cross for Purple Haze. I sell F1 plants every year. RNewste swapped me some Wes seed which I badly needed for a very few Purple Haze. My suggestion is to either bribe Keith or else bribe me.

DarJones
Old October 5, 2010   #6
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

HD, Thats where the bribery comes in. What are you offering. I have a weakness for the odd, unusual, or truly good flavored tomato. Just remember that I don't take firstborn kids. Mine are all grown and I don't need anyone's excess. And while I'm at it, "good in bed" just means a hot water bottle that doesn't leak!

Lol, this thread is worth a smile.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2010   #7
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

I will look through my stash when I get home later...I'll come up with something. Any interest in growing out crosses?
Old October 6, 2010   #8
JoAnne
Tomatovillian™

Hi All, Sorry to crash this thread. I was eager to catch the Purple Haze craze and ordered a plant from a grower we all know in Southern Cal. Beautiful potato leaf plant that yielded a ton of nice large pink beefsteaks. I'd be happy to trade seed for PH, but I'm a relative newbie (5th year of growing tomatoes) and although I have tons of seed, I doubt there's anything special that a purple haze grower would want. (Maybe a Trinidad Perfume pepper?) - JoAnne
JoAnne is offline   Reply With Quote