Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 1, 2010   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default I LOVE Aunt Ruby's German Green! Others?

This is my first year growing green when ripe tomatoes and the Aunt Ruby's German Green is by far my favorite as for flavor out of ALL of my varieties and colors! It wasn't a heavy producer like some of the other varieties but they are absolutely delicious!

I want to grow more green when ripe next year so I would love to hear from you about other great tasting greens. What are your favorite green when ripe varieties?

I did also enjoy my Lime Green Salad tomatoes.

I am saving seeds for the first time this year so I will have seeds to trade later this fall.

Cheers
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2010   #2
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Green Giant and Cherokee Green sure get a lot of votes. I grew Green Giant this year and it was outstanding.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2010   #3
dice
Tomatovillian™

Grub's Mystery Green: earlier than most green when ripe
varieties that I have heard of, good size, excellent flavor.
(It gets botrytis wilt in the rain up here, but then so does
nearly everything else.)
Old October 1, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I love green when ripes almost as much as I love hearts and I was trialing a gWripe heart for someone this year but alas, with this lousy season no fruits.

Ones that I've grown that I like might include:

Cherokee Green
Green Giant
Green Doctors or GD Frosted ( cherry)
Malachite Box ( Malakhitovaya Shkatulka)
Charlie's Green
Grandma Oliver's
Dorothy's Green, aka Green
Evergreen
Humph

...and just a note about ARGG b'c you liked it so much. Several years ago I was at SSE in Decorah IA and met Bill Minkey for the first time although I'd known him for a long time before that and he had with him the real Aunt Ruby's niece who was the one who gave the seeds to Bill and he was the first to list it in the SSE YEarbook.

She had a copy of my book with her and asked if I'd write a note on the page which featured this variety. I did and she immediately broke down and cried for a very long time and others who passed by wondered what was going on.

it turned out that her Aunt Ruby had died just about a month ago but Bill hadn't told me and just my writing on that page for her brought back so many memories to her of her Aunt Ruby.
Old October 2, 2010   #5
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Oh, Carolyn, that is such a touching story! I will pass it along when I share these greens with friends. Are any of the greens you listed early or possibly more prolific than the ARGG?
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2010   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwindjammer View Post
Oh, Carolyn, that is such a touching story! I will pass it along when I share these greens with friends. Are any of the greens you listed early or possibly more prolific than the ARGG?
No GWRipe that I've grown would I consider to be an early variety, that is, under about 70 days. For me they're all midseason varieties and none of them would I call Late season varieties, which for me is over about 80 days.

If you're thinking of yield, as in prolific, and thinking of #'s of fruits, not total poundage then almost all of them are higher producing than ARGG except possibly Green Giant would be about the same as ARGG for me.

Most prolific would certainly be the cherry Green Doctors or GD Frosted, but Cherokee Green has been outstanding for me as to taste AND yield. And Malachite Box, Evergreen and Green close to that, but I still think Cherokee Green is the best of the ones out there that I've grown.
Old October 5, 2010   #7
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

I grew Absinthe this year with seeds from Trudi at Wintersown. We had a very strange growing year, did not plant outdoors until June 20, because of frost, and now at the other end of the spectrum we have not had any true frost yet! Last Thursday it was 96°, and yesterday the high was 56°and rain for the first time in months. Harvested 14 Absinthe last week, over 100 days, and they average 1 pound. About 10 or 12 more still on the plant. They are very meaty, and I enjoy the taste. The only other green when ripe I have grown successfully were green zebra and granny Smith. These have a different texture and everyone who has tried them really likes them.
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2010   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had a green when ripe that came with some pepper seed I had ordered. I have no idea what it is but it was the best green I have ever grown. It is potato leafed and a medium to large beefsteak with a slight amber tone when ripe. It had a full rich tomato flavor that was very well balanced. It produced a large vine that had better disease tolerance than any other green I have tried. I saved the seed and am calling it Pepper Seed Green and I'll see if it is stable next year.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote