Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 3, 2010   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default good-tasting cooked tomatoes

I eat most of my tomatoes raw, but before giving up on a variety, I like to taste it cooked. A few years ago, Black Krim was good as a raw tomato but a revelation as a cooked tomato -- incredibly rich -- which was fortunate because BK doesn't keep well after picking.

I like to cook the tomatoes separately so I can taste each one, and the easiest way to do that is to cut them in half and put them on the baking sheet when I'm roasting other vegetables.

This year, the standouts were George O'Brien, which had a deep, rich flavor as a raw tomato and wais even better as a cooked tomato; and Sweet Horizon, which was mealy as a raw tomato (and destined for the compost bin) but sweet and fruity when cooked.

Most other tomatoes I've cooked this year were not memorable. One of them, Roman Candle (my favorite snacking tomato this year, because it was more prolific than the 5-6 cherry varieties combined!) lost its sweetness and was really bland when cooked. That was a surprise, because I thuoght paste varieties improved with cooking.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

If you'd like your taste buds to be tazered... Aunt Gertie's Gold.

Trmat
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I was impressed with Kosovo and Neves Azorean Red and they are both meaty tomatoes so you get more than just juice and seeds in your sauce. Another that cooked great was a small to medium pink that was super productive and ripened with no green shoulders and was coreless and easy to peel. It came from my BTD Pink seed and I called it Bill's Berkley Pink and saved the seed hoping it will grow true next year as it was by far the most productive tomato I have ever grown.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #4
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

I find that blacks, particularly, come to life when cooked.

Last edited by heirloomdaddy; October 4, 2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: grammatical failure
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #5
AZRuss
Tomatovillian™

Last year I learned that Stupice cooks up into a wonderful juice and/or sauce. It's amazing that a tomato with just OK flavor raw becomes awesome when cooked. Nothing finer than a cup of hot Stupice juice with just a pinch of sea salt. Yum!
AZRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2010   #6
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

As I have mentioned a number of times, Martino's Roma - not so great raw - at least in my garden but heavenly when cooked into sauce. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2010   #7
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

habitat gardener, I've been looking for George O'Brien seed for a while now. By any chance, do you have a few spare?

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2010   #8
frogwash
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure about roasted, but when I was getting too many Black Krim and they were getting soft because I couldn't eat them fast enough, I used them to make some spaghetti sauce and that was extra yummy!