Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old September 20, 2011   #16
Tania
Tomatovillian™

And what is this 'piece of art'? http://pennystomatoes.com/exotictomatoes2.html

I do not know what to say. Really.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2011   #17
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

She suggests that it's a rare variety of tomato, but if you watch the video, it seems like she's selling some sort of rubber band that encourages the fruit to grow in this form. I haven't looked, but I'll bet $100 that Pepper Joe lists the peter pepper.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2011   #18
Raffles
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=mysidx;234327]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
I'm more inclined to say silly. The site looks like a kid designed it and the over use of her name gets very old very fast.

Funny you say that, I was thinking the same thing. All she needs now is to have a talking tomato named penny for some kid show to come on PBS after Dora the Explorer.
Hey if they do it I want to be the villain that is always after her and her South American pal Tommy Tillo.

Which works better for you folks; a horn worm that sounds like Dracula or the Blight brothers?
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2011   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Now why didn't I think to check out some of the other links.

So it's a squash/pepper/ tomato?

And I did see the cartoon with two huge beefsteak red tomatoes hanging down where her shall we say her bosom should be.

Too much, too much.

lakelady, I just looked at the tomato list again and see no differences except I don't think I saw the PA Great White one but I am NOT going to go back and look.
Old September 20, 2011   #20
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post

Wow, how do you know when it's ripe?
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2011   #21
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post

They are chayote squash!!! http://www.hungrydesi.com/wp-content...ote-squash.jpg
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2011   #22
PennyM
LIAR AND THIEF

Hello everybody. This is Penny from Penny's Tomatoes.
It's great to be part of Tomatoville.
Keith, THANKS for being a customer. You won't be disappointed.
Pinakbet, THANKS for your vote of confidence and positive comments.
Let me say that when I started Penny's Tomatoes 4 years ago it was a mistake to rename some of our tomatoes. I though it was cute or clever and now realize it was neither.
Keeping heirloom varietes clearly identified is critical.
I promise that when we do our 2012 catalog and website we'll make those few tweaks.
I've been in the seed business combined 23 years (I am a sister company to Pepper Joe's) and although we did create a fun and whimsical website we have some very serious commitments to our customers. We typically ship out orders within 3 days. I give 3 free seed packs with every order and typically they are recognizable names like Ponderosa, Marglobe, Beefsteak, etc. We have 20,000 Facebook fans...please read their reviews they absolutely love Penny's Tomatoes...see for yourself. I have 17,000 combined opt in Newletter subscribers and rarely get opt-outs. Our sales have grow substantially each year over the previous year, mostly from return customers. Anyway, not to ramble but we have our positives too. If you shop at Penny's I personally guarantee that you'll be happy.
Thanks for listening and look forward to interacting with all of you.
We can learn a lot here...and maybe contribute a few tips along the way.
Tomato-Ly Yours,
Penny
PennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2011   #23
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Penny,

Let me know if you need any help fixing up the historical information or the names. Needless to say, you can always consult the TOMATObase website.

Cheers,
Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old September 22, 2011   #24
PennyM
LIAR AND THIEF

Thank you so much Tania. I think I'll take you up on that when teh time comes...as a double check for accuracy.
Great Gardening,
Penny
Old September 22, 2011   #25
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We have 20,000 Facebook fans...
This is pretty good! I do not think I have more than 100 fans of Tatiana's TOMATObase... just looking at the TOMATObase members contributions and my customer list. Hmmmm... Maybe I do not do a good marketing job?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old September 22, 2011   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Penny, I was glad to see you post here and indicate that you wanted to correct the variety name errors and history information presently at your website. it jsut isn't good to change variety names and then have such wrong information out there in the public tomato world, as I think you now can appreciate.

Tania has offered to help and I'm sure Craig and Remy and I would as well, I can't remember the others who commented.

I think most of the info for most of the varieties you'd find at Tania's site but Craig and I are indeed, ahem, much older and have grown tomatoes I think far longer than most who post here and are both long time life time SSE members as well. So just yell if you need more information.

What I'm saying is that I was just 72 in June but my brain still functions quite normally on most days, thank you, and I have grown out about 3,000 plus varieties and also wrote a book about heirloom tomatoes, now out of print, but I kept a few here at home and a check for about $500 will get anyone one of those unsullied copies.

Again, I think we all thank you for responding.
Old September 22, 2011   #27
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Indeed - welcome, Penny! Anything I can do to help, let me know!
Old September 22, 2011   #28
PennyM
LIAR AND THIEF

Thanks Carolyn and Craig. We will get it fixed for 2012's catalog and Website.
Tomato-Ly Yours,
Penny
Old September 22, 2011   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyM View Post
Thanks Carolyn and Craig. We will get it fixed for 2012's catalog and Website.
Tomato-Ly Yours,
Penny
And some of the pictures as well, like the one from SSE and the one from TT, and, well, I forgot the others.

Sorry, just can't help myself here b'c I've got bills to pay and don't want to so I've alternated by playing Solitaire and coming back to Tville, my home since Jan of 2006 , although I still read/post at some other message sites and I can do that since I have the time b'c I'm retired.
Old September 22, 2011   #30
muck4doo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyM View Post
Hello everybody. This is Penny from Penny's Tomatoes.
It's great to be part of Tomatoville.
Keith, THANKS for being a customer. You won't be disappointed.
Pinakbet, THANKS for your vote of confidence and positive comments.
Let me say that when I started Penny's Tomatoes 4 years ago it was a mistake to rename some of our tomatoes. I though it was cute or clever and now realize it was neither.
Keeping heirloom varietes clearly identified is critical.
I promise that when we do our 2012 catalog and website we'll make those few tweaks.
I've been in the seed business combined 23 years (I am a sister company to Pepper Joe's) and although we did create a fun and whimsical website we have some very serious commitments to our customers. We typically ship out orders within 3 days. I give 3 free seed packs with every order and typically they are recognizable names like Ponderosa, Marglobe, Beefsteak, etc. We have 20,000 Facebook fans...please read their reviews they absolutely love Penny's Tomatoes...see for yourself. I have 17,000 combined opt in Newletter subscribers and rarely get opt-outs. Our sales have grow substantially each year over the previous year, mostly from return customers. Anyway, not to ramble but we have our positives too. If you shop at Penny's I personally guarantee that you'll be happy.
Thanks for listening and look forward to interacting with all of you.
We can learn a lot here...and maybe contribute a few tips along the way.
Tomato-Ly Yours,
Penny
Again, my 2 cents. I'm very new here. I came here after seeing Carolyn reference this place somewhere else. I trust her. I'm still figuring out everything here, but saw the "Seed and Pant sources" in the welcome as a sure place I had to visit, and give some of my feedback on(not that anyone is asking of course). I've looked up just about all the vendors listed here as possible places to try for 2013. Anyhow, I did see the reviews for your place earlier, and figured I would never buy from your place. What bothered me most was the re-naming of the different varieties. I agree, you just don't do that. It reminds me of McDowells and the golden arcs. I'm glad to see however that you didn't take criticism harshly, and are willing to learn from it. Good luck, and looking forward to seeing your revised 2012 catalog.
muck4doo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carolina reaper , deceitful , dishonest , joe arditi , lies , opinions , penny mohney , penny's tomatoes , pepper joe's , photo theft , reviews , untrustworthy