Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old February 24, 2017   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Ramps

I watched cooking show called" Chopped" the other day and in the mystery basket they gave folks a veggie called Ramp. Nobody seemed to know about it and just sauteed it and plopped on dish.

I had to see what it was. After some googling I found that Ramp is a Wild Leek. is the Ramp tastier or easier to grow than say the varieties out today?

I have a terrible time here trying to grow onions. Gave up on them. Easier just to buy the odd one I need from the store.

I'm thinking about ordering some Ramp bulbs. Just might find a new veggie I'll like if I can figure out how to grow them in a container. Do I want to try Ramp or something else? First time trying to grow leeks.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #2
txtstorm
Tomatovillian™

Hi there.

You might have a look at the natural range for ramps. I was reading about them some years back because I love leeks and thought I could maybe grow them. Turns out, they don't grow so well here in North Central Texas. I think they do best in their native range.

Cheers,

Adam
txtstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2017   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Star, here is some info I found about them https://www.seedman.com/ramps.htm
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2017   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both for chiming in. Big help and I glad I asked first before ordering any. Think this is one veggie I will be better off on passing up.

Appreciate the advice and help. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2017   #5
hoefarmer
Tomatovillian™

Default ramps

I would guess you will not like them. the smell permeates your breath and even body. People will be able to smell you coming 100' away. Not a real onion substitute as they are smalland taste nothing like an onion or a leek. I am from WV where there are ramp dinners. my parents ate them but yuck.

Hoe Farmer
hoefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2017   #6
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoefarmer View Post
I would guess you will not like them. the smell permeates your breath and even body. People will be able to smell you coming 100' away. Not a real onion substitute as they are small and taste nothing like an onion or a leek. I am from WV where there are ramp dinners. my parents ate them but yuck.

Hoe Farmer
My dad always said the same thing. His parents and grandparents ate them too.

I think they are DELICIOUS in small amounts. More like garlic. I love all things garlicy.

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote