Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 2, 2017   #121
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

MichelleInWASt, I can sponser you if you want want pink, red or black beefsteaks.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2017   #122
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
For 2017 MMMM, I'll say no.

There are varieties like Cherokee Purple, Black Cherry, Rutgers, Roma, Green Zebra, etc...etc... that I can get loads and loads of. But some of those, which I have too much of to distribute, are now getting to be about 5 years old. So, everything should be refreshed, I suppose.

And, if people want to send in bulk packs of any varieties, while I may or may not be able to bag them all up for 2017, I should have plenty of time for the 2018 swap.
With all that's going on in my personal life - that might be a good option for me. I was actually worried that I couldn't send in seeds this year.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2017   #123
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
It was "The Fair", again. The heat (92 degrees, no clouds, lots of pavement), the people (171,000+ on one Saturday), and of course the food (if you can call fair food, food), that did me in.

My husband and I actually made it out to “The Fair” for the first time last Friday. Couldn’t go more then ten feet without hitting another “food” vendor. Even the Avenue of States was mostly food focused... I can see how one can be easily “done in.”
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2017   #124
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
If I send in 20 packets of one variety, say, a pink heart, can it be counted as 10 for the Pink catory and 10 for the Heart category?

Nan
That'll work.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2017   #125
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Guru- Yellow Pear is banned from the swap. Also, Tormato say he has all the Black Cherry he needs for this year.

Michelle- This is the thread to let it be known you want a sponsor. Look for replies to your request in this thread and/or in your Personal Message inbox. If you have categories you wish to receive, mention them, but the more flexible you can be, the easier it is for someone to sponsor you. At some point, you and your sponsor will be sending Private Messages where you'll give them your name & address, and make arrangements such as how to pay postage, sending your wish list, etc.

Nan
While I ban Yellow Pear, that just limits too many packs coming in.

What I do welcome are YP variants, like Beam's YP, Fargo YP, Yellow Submarine. While I'd likely never trial these, I hear that they taste much better than YP.
Old October 3, 2017   #126
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleInWASt View Post
I'd be more than happy to volunteer to do some divvying-up and bagging, too, if there are folks sending big enough quantities to make it worth mailing 'em twice. (e.g., not worth mailing twice for me to just divvy up 100 into 10 packs of 10, but well worth mailing twice if I can save you the time of divvying up 2000 into 200 packs of 10...)
While that would be really nice, packages generally get here too late for it to likely happen.
Old October 5, 2017   #127
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday I sent these seeds of Spanish tomatoes - a sponsorship gift:
Rosa de Huesca
Salobre
Zamorano
Gallego
Negrillo Almaguera
Roteňo Andalucia
Morado Ambite- determinante
Plano de Erandio
Rosa Sierra Aracena
Negro Silex
All are steak varieties. I had to put the seeds in small packages for the post office and customs. There is only the name of the variety and the year of the seed collection (the elderly). Other seeds are from 2017.
Information on varieties can be found on Tatiana's TOMATObase and on Tomatoville in thread
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...hlight=MrBig46
I hope the seeds will come to Gary in order, and that everyone who gets the seeds of these heirloom tomatoes will be happy with them.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2017   #128
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

That is great! Thank you very much! I am sure those seeds will be well-enjoyed.

But maybe your post should be moved to the MMMM spoiler thread?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2017   #129
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry if the post is in the wrong thread. I do not actually follow MMM action because I do not want to participate. I have put the "Tormato" in the search engine and I wrote this link behind the last contribution in MMM.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2017   #130
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

2nd and 3rd packages from Germany arrived, along with 2nd package from Cal.

We're about 1 month from the sending in deadline.
Old October 10, 2017   #131
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

I am going to be close to deadline for sending seeds. Tomatoes are dry and ready to go. One on your list and one also on list for Nifty Fifty.
I want to send some squash seeds and I haven't cut the squash yet. Just picked it a week ago and would like it to cure some before I cut it and eat it. Do you want to know what it is? If so I will post it in the squash thread. Or keep it a mystery too.
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2017   #132
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have chosen not to send in seeds this year. With RKN and Fusarium race 3 in all of my gardens - I don't want to take any remote chance of spreading the soil borne diseases. I know it's not supposed to be possible, but I've seen stranger things happen.

Tormato, thank you for all you do here with the MMMM. It has been very exciting to get your bubble mailers full of seeds. For me, it has been even more fun to send in a lot of seeds.

I really enjoy that tomato shark part, and I know one very special person who sends in a lot of F1s.
Old October 11, 2017   #133
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Salt, that's so sad to hear. Keep fighting, find a way to grow those tomatoes! Containers, greenhouse, something. I love reading your posts & would hate to think of a tomato lover having to give up the hobby.

Next year, next year, next year.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2017   #134
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sending anything either. It was a cool summer, with a sudden warm period in the end which served the fungal diseases well.
Of course plenty of seeds from prveious years, but I am not sure any of the varieties are of interest to the participants.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2017   #135
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nan, I'm not giving up on growing tomatoes. I'll have to use containers which will be new to me.