Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SPLATT™ event information and discussion forum. South Carolina Piedmont Lycospersicum Annual Tomato Tasting

Old May 5, 2007   #1
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Default SC Tomato tasting 2007

The second annual SC tomato tasting will be on July 21 at noon in Little Mountain SC at the reunion park. I am expecting a big crowd this year and need help from the SC tomato growers to fill the tables. I would also like input for a catchy name. I have thought of SPLAT! for South carolina Piedmont Lycospersicum annual tasting. We could eventually have a tomato tossing using bland hybrids to generate some funds to offset cost. Let me hear your Ideas. Rodger
Old May 10, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Rodger, good luck and best wishes with your get-together!

Looks like you had a great time last year:

2006 South Carolina Tomato Fest
Old May 10, 2007   #3
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodger View Post
The second annual SC tomato tasting will be on July 21 at noon in Little Mountain SC at the reunion park. I am expecting a big crowd this year and need help from the SC tomato growers to fill the tables. I would also like input for a catchy name. I have thought of SPLAT! for South carolina Piedmont Lycospersicum annual tasting. We could eventually have a tomato tossing using bland hybrids to generate some funds to offset cost. Let me hear your Ideas. Rodger
If you'd like a forum here to plan and discuss your get-together, let me know and I'll set it up for you.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Old May 13, 2007   #4
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default South Carolina Tomato Tasting

Rodger, Depending on our health, if we are able to travel to visit family in SC/NC, I would love to be present for your Tomato Tasting! I will let you know if we are able to travel. If not, I look forward to hearing all about it in October at the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy Fall Conference.
Best of wishes on a successful gathering!
Gary (an old SC boy!)
Old May 17, 2007   #5
JimM_SC
Tomatovillian™

Rodger,
You're going to have to work on that name.
Seriously, let me know if I can do anything to help.
Gary,
I hope you can make it down that weekend. I'd love to see you again.
Jim
Old May 19, 2007   #6
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

I'll try to come! I don't know how many tomatoes I will have (I'm moving unexpectedly and have to dig up and transplant my tomatoes...and I'm hoping they don't die!) Hopefully I will have a few samples of the varieties I'm growing:

Aunt Ruby's GG, Marvelous, Jeff Davis, Tom's Yellow Wonder, Wuhib, Neves Azorean Red, Matt's Wild Cherry, Orange Heirloom, Omar's Lebanese...

Possibly some others that I'll be starting for a fall crop. I don't know if they'll have time to start up by then but we shall see!

Jennifer
Old May 21, 2007   #7
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Jenn, did you attend the Pee Dee plant and flower show. I was there selling my tomato plants.
Gary it is always good to hear from you. I have your kentucky heirlooms growing and I shared several of the plants at the 10th annual Southern seed Legacy project seed swap in Crawford Ga. I also have the scaly bark watermelon growing.
Jim hope you can make and yes the name needs some work but I am open for suggestions.
Mischka it wiould be great if you could set us up a spot to discuss this years get together.
Look forward to seeing everyone and tasting some good SCtomatoes. Rodger
Old May 21, 2007   #8
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Rodger.
I look forward to attending the Little Mtn. reunion/tomato festival.
I bought "Black From Tula", "Druzba", and "Stupice" from you at SC State Farmers' Market, Cola. in April. So far, all are doing well. We live on the lake in Chapin, so we're lucky to have H2O.... it would be nice to get some rain. I'm sure I won't have enough tomatoes for a table/stand, but I'd be happy to help others.
Slightly off toppic, I'm growing some tomatoes in containers on my deck; several of them have leaves that look diseased. It begins with a brown/grey spot usually near a vein. Then it spreads causing the edges of the leaf to curl up or under and dry out. also, around the cages I have seen very, very fine spider webbing. Not knowing what the problem is, I've sprayed with all purpose bug spray (malathion) and daconil. Whatever is causing the damage is also eating the herbs (basil, oregano) and lettuce in one of pots with my Sweet Million cherry. I really don't like spraying, but since I've started, they look better.
Interestingly, the plants in the ground have not been affected. Any ideas? Thanks, Beth
Old June 9, 2007   #9
cozy
Tomatovillian™

Shoot, came by several of you today, I reckon, on the way back from Savannah ( Skidaway) ... ate burgers at Hardees in Florence at 2 pm!
I'm going to try and make this. It takes me 2 hrs to get to the cellular tower ( that's what I do) at Little Mnt exit ... #85 I think??
I have a good friend that lives between there and Chapin that I'll try to get to show as well. Smallwood comes to mind ... not sure if that is the road, subdivision or both?
I've given him plants the last couple of years and it's close ... so he will probably go.
But ya gotta work on the name!
You have S.L.E.D ( I think) that folks are familiar with so skipping the "C" is possible ... but would be nice to include???
S.C.A.M.P ( South Carolina Annual 'Mater Presentation, Perusal, Picnic)??
Hmmm, "Picnic" sounds "family" ... S.P.O.T ( South carolina ( "Southern" even) Picnic Of Tomatoes)??
S.C.O.T.T. ( South Carolina Organized Tomato Tasting)???
Just random thoughts
Old June 9, 2007   #10
cozy
Tomatovillian™

and ya also have S.H.E.P. ... so skipping the "C" is doable
Old June 10, 2007   #11
rodger
Tomatovillian™

You are familiar with the area. Look forward to seeing you in July and Little Mt is only 7miles from Chapin. Rodger
Old June 19, 2007   #12
cozy
Tomatovillian™

Yup, hopefully ... 'course with anything you want to do, contingencies attack. Just talked to my friend from Chapin and he will attend but the wife has informed me that this week will be the only chance for all of the family ( daughter in college, 2nd one starting this Fall, #3 daughter and #1 son in band) to camping ... and they want Pigeon Forge this year. But I have a pending job in Hilton around that time so we may be there ... crazy for sure but so it is.
Anyway, Jeff and I have resolved to cruise the Farmers Market in Columbia this weekend to see what is up
Old July 6, 2007   #13
emmaloufudge
Tomatovillian™

Rodger,

I am going to make it to the Tomato Tasting this year. I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I will have something to contribute.

I like the name SPLATT - it wouldn't be confused with any other tomato "get togethers".

and as a money raiser, you could get a large laminated photo of whomever is the current governor and use icky grocery store tomatoes to throw at it.
Old July 8, 2007   #14
rodger
Tomatovillian™

This is the Official notice and invitation to the 2nd annual Tomato tasting in Little Mounatin SC. Little Mountain is located in the center of the state approximately 30miles NW of Columbia SC off interstate 26. Take Exit #85 on I-26 and go right one mile to the stop sign at the end of the road . Take a right onto Hwy -76 go one block and just past the Little Mountain Convience store /Exxon station and turn left onto MIll Rd. The park and tasting will be on your right approximately one block down. This is a large park with rest room facilities baseball fields amplitheater covered picknic areas etc and home to the Little Mountain reunion, Oldest folk festival in SC held the first Saturday in Aug each year. If anyone is interested and would like to help outv I would appreciate it, I put this on all by myself and wouldn't mind the help. My house is located about 1.5 miles from the park and I could use some help picking the tomatoes, labeling and setting up at the park. If interested please send me an e-mail. Those showing get a behind the scene look at my garden and the current deseases which are inflicting it. (Smile). I'm sure it will be a good time and for lunch. The Newberry Master Gardeners will be selling tomato and BLT sandwiches to raise money for their scholarship fund. I am expecting lots of non tomato growers. People interested in heirloom tomatoes but have never grown them. If you are familiar with the Lake Murray magazine you may have noted an article on me and my tomatoes in the July issue which came out last week in June. This also advertized the tasting and I have had several people call about it and to come out to my house for tomatoes. I can't say what will be availble I am picking lots of tomatoes now hopeing some will hold off to ripen for the tasting. If anyone comes please bring some tomatoes to add to what I may have and if you don't have any no worry please come anyways. I would love to meet you and talk about this years growing season and what is planned for next year. Rodger Winn
Old July 8, 2007   #15
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Rodger.
Hope all went well with your son's wedding.
Please clarify for me the date of the SPLAT festival (oooooh.. we gotta' work on that name). Is it July 21 st or is it combined with Little Mtn's Reunion Aug. 4th. Our family will be at the beach on 8/4. So, I'm hoping it's 7/21. Please let me know.
Enjoyed seeing you at Newberry's farmers' mkt. I served your tomatoes at our grandson's B'day. We had a tasting contest 1st place "Black from Tula". 2nd the green one (forget the name), 3rd the deeply convoluted red. Thanks for the great deal on the price. I'll look forward to hearing from you. Bethy