Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SPLATT™ event information and discussion forum. South Carolina Piedmont Lycospersicum Annual Tomato Tasting

Old January 29, 2010   #1
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Default Planning SPLATT 2010

For those interested, this years event will be on July 17, third saturday in July starting at 1200. This is year #5 for the tasting .Several issues made last years event not practical for me but my intentions is to hold the tasting at my Home this year and have a live Blue grass band. I may smoke some boston butts to go with all the tomatoes. If I dont do the BBQ there will still be Bacon and fixins for BLTs. I will keep you updated as the time nears and I would appreciate any help with set up. Rodger
Old January 29, 2010   #2
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Are folks from The Old North State welcome?
Old January 29, 2010   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Good to see your ASCII!

I'll be glad to do what ever I can to help.
Old January 29, 2010   #4
rodger
Tomatovillian™

This event is open to anyone interesting in sampling tomatoes, talking tomatoes and seeing my organic garden were I produce seeds of heirloom flowers and vegetables for preservation and for seed companies. There has been people from Georgia and NC in the past.
Old February 6, 2010   #5
maggie c
Tomatovillian™

Rodger, how far are you from Greenville???
Old February 7, 2010   #6
rodger
Tomatovillian™

I am about 60miles from Greenville at exit #85 on I-26.
Old February 7, 2010   #7
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Tomato Tasting

Rodger, I passed along information to my gardening friend, Lane, in Saluda, SC. He may be in touch with you about the Tomato Tasting. Hope you get through the winter weather and on to doing your thing in the garden.
Gary
Old July 1, 2010   #8
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Any updates/details for this year's event?

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Old July 1, 2010   #9
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Well it is approaching quick so I do need to post an update. This years event is on. It will be at my home in Little Mountain SC. The Date is Saturday 17 July The time is 1200 noon and will go until everyone passes out from the heat or have had a fill of tomatoes. Hopefully the later. I have a Bluegrass band scheduled to play from 12-2 or so. The Band is the Sugarloaf mountain boys www.sugarloafmountainboys.com There will be all the fixins for Blts so bring your familiy or friends and see my attempts at growing and hopefully enjoy a nice selection of tomatoes. Please bring any tomatoes you may have to add to the fun. I will provide tables ice water and tea please bring your own chairs a wide brim hat or unbrella to keep the sun out. I have some shade and a large porch but please be prepared for the heat if your interested in looking at the garden. Directions are exit 85 off I-26 turn right regardless of which direction you come and go to the stop sign approx 1.5miles. Turn right onto hwy 76 and go approx 1mile then turn left onto Old Dutch Rd. I am the first house on the left 2528 Old Dutch Rd. Little Mountain South Carolina 29075. Hm # 803-945-4519 if have questions or need help. Parking will be on the gravel road adjacent to my house and garden. My son will assist in parking. Parking will start at the entrance to the road and will be normal pull in side by side parking all traffic will exit by backing out and continuing down the road to the cul de sac. The road is about 1/2mile long. Please only park as directed and only on the road shoulder. This is a dead end road with no one living on it so there will be no traffic. Festivities and tables with tents will be set up around my house with the band under the car port. I have seatting for about 30 people so please bring a chair. I am totally against paper towels paper plates and most other throw away items. I will have glasses, cloth napkins, and plates for the tomatoes and tooth picks for sampling and knifes but no plates for your sandwhich so if you feel you need something else please bring it. There will be plenty of ice water and sweet tea.The restroom facilities will be my home restroom facilities so No porta john. The garden looks good much better than last year. Although this is a tomato tasting I grow numerous heirloom vegetables and herbs for seed companies so I will discuss seed saving, have deminstrations and walk you through the gardens. Be prepared to have my weeder Geese follow you around some Guineas cackling in the hay field and bantam chicks in the garden. I am certified organic and have a strong commentment to preserving the enviroment so I hope to pass on some of my knowledge and experiences. I also have numerous ornamentals plantings around the house please respect my residence and gardens and not take cuttings or seed. I am more than willing to share anything just ask. I hope to see all of ya'll again this year. Rodger
PS I have a website that should be updated by the end of this weekend. www.rodgersheirlooms.com