Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 22, 2012   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default One of The Top Dogs in Fungicides and it's Not Cheap

You have heard me talk about Azoxystrobin before which I use to control Early Blight, Late Blight, Septoria Leaf Spot and others. The problem has been the non availability of it to the hobby growers in the US except for the commercial growers. Azoxystrobin is derived from mushrooms and can be applied up to the day of harvest.

I came across one product called "Heritage" which is 50% Azoxystrobin. It is a Systemic/Preventative that provides protection to the plants for up to 28 days. Application of the product is limited to no more than 4-8 applications per growing season.

The cost for 4 ounces is $149.00 which will make 30-60 gallons depending on the dilution used. The cost is steep but if you go into it as a group and split it up into 1 ounce portions then it is around $37.25 per ounce. So if you grow in area's that constantly get hammered with Blight or other disease every year it would probably be worth it. The only thing I would do is to query the manufacture as to the shelf life of the product. Ami

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ent/fungicides
Old April 22, 2012   #2
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Azoxystrobin is derived from mushrooms and can be applied up to the day of harvest.
Go figure, a fungicide made from... a fungus.
Old April 22, 2012   #3
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
That was funny Mudman.

Ami I know (leastwise you used to use) Mycro Grow Soluble Mycorrhizae. Which I think is from mushroom production somehow. Does Fungi Perfect llc also make this type of product? If so what is the name of the product? I think a lot of southern gardeners would be interested in this product and I know from time to time Tomatoville works with some companies to get a better cost to it's members.
Also what does it do if used more than this? "Application of the product is limited to no more than 4-8 applications per growing season"

OT: Ami - I was reading a statement about Chioramine and Mycros where you said "OK, there are few solutions to your Chloramine problem... add 1 Tsp black strap molasses to 5 gallons of water and let it set for about 30 minutes plus it will feed the myco's you will be adding prior to dipping your plants."
Can you explain why and how this works?
Also does it work on Chlorine?

Last edited by John3; April 22, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
What could be better than a fungus that creates a chemical compound that kills invading fungus's?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012   #5
swamper
Tomatovillian™

I'd be curious to know about the shelf life. Does anyone know?
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012   #6
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Any literature comparing Azoxystrobin to Daconil or copper?
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
OT: Ami - I was reading a statement about Chioramine and Mycros where you said "OK, there are few solutions to your Chloramine problem... add 1 Tsp black strap molasses to 5 gallons of water and let it set for about 30 minutes plus it will feed the myco's you will be adding prior to dipping your plants."
Can you explain why and how this works?
Also does it work on Chlorine?
Chlorine and Chioramine are oxidants. The sugars in molasses act through chemical reduction as antioxidants to neutralize the Chlorine and Chioramine. Other chemical compounds will do the same thing, like ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
With molasses you get two birds with one stone. Neat trick.
Old April 23, 2012   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

RayR. Thanks for providing the explanation on nutrilization properties of Molasses and ascorbic acid.

John3, the reason for limited application of Azoxystrobin is the target pathogens can develop resistance after time to the product. Same thing in the drug industry where products to treat disease after prolonged use will develop a resistance to it and they have to develop another drug to fight the same disease.

Even though Azoxystrobin is derived from mushrooms it is not a fungi per se and the myco's are bacteria and fungi that already exist in nature.

Daconil is strickly a protectant in that it forms a shield on the outside of the plant. Anything that is derived from the soil through the root system will no be controlled by Daconil. Azoxystrobin is a systemic that will fight disease from within the plant and as a curative as well if the plant is already infected. It will also kill disease on contact. Copper is a contact fungicide which will eradicate disease from the outside but not the inside of the plant. Copper as well as Daconil require more frequent applications than Azoxystrobin.
Ami
Old April 23, 2012   #9
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
swamper thanks for posting this question. The link has a toll free number so I called them. After getting transfered to the person who was to know the product he said he wants to say 8 years. When asked if he could check that he said they had so many products that he really did not know.
So they don't know.
Kinda makes wonder if I was to buy the product if I should buy from them. So the next step is to see who makes it and find out from them.
Old April 23, 2012   #10
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Chlorine and Chioramine are oxidants. The sugars in molasses act through chemical reduction as antioxidants to neutralize the Chlorine and Chioramine. Other chemical compounds will do the same thing, like ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
With molasses you get two birds with one stone. Neat trick.
I was reading a pdf from some gov. publication which said that only a certain type of filter would work. It went on to say that the ascorbic acid would not completely get rid of chioramine. So I have been trying to find more info about that. Just to let you know why it was taking so long to reply. Could not find any other source that said what the gov pdf document said. But found plenty that verified your statement.
Thanks for the reply.
Old April 23, 2012   #11
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Ok The company name is Syngenta.
Found their web site and gave them a call and they told me not to use Heritage as the other Other Ingredients added as the product is formulated for turfs. They said though lower in Azoxystrobin to use Quadris [Azoxystrobin: methyl (E)-2-{2-[6-(2-cyanophenoxy) pyrimidin-4-yloxy]phenyl}-3-methoxyacrylate* 22.9%] as the other ingredients are for vegetable crops.
They also said it lasts a long time depends on the way you store the product (that's for both products)
here are links to both products
http://www.syngentacropprotection.co...id=413&MID=466

http://www.syngentaprofessionalprodu...did=50&MID=550

So I don't know about either product - it will take someone with more understanding to be able to read the info sheets (which are in pdf at their site)

Last edited by John3; April 23, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old April 23, 2012   #12
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
John3, the reason for limited application of Azoxystrobin is the target pathogens can develop resistance after time to the product. Same thing in the drug industry where products to treat disease after prolonged use will develop a resistance to it and they have to develop another drug to fight the same disease.

Even though Azoxystrobin is derived from mushrooms it is not a fungi per se and the myco's are bacteria and fungi that already exist in nature.
Ami thanks for the tip on Azoxystrobin.
Old April 23, 2012   #13
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I just purchased a 10 pound bag of granular for about $30.00:

http://ozbo.com/Maxide-Prof-Lawn-Dis...021.html#15438

It contains only 0.31% Azoxystrobin as I'd rather err on the side of being too cautious in application rate. We'll see what effect it has on my grass first, then I'll consider applying it to the tomato plants later in the Summer after I have done some more research. Looks promising - - but I want to use products of this type with an abundance of caution.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012   #14
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
I just purchased a 10 pound bag of granular for about $30.00:

http://ozbo.com/Maxide-Prof-Lawn-Dis...021.html#15438

It contains only 0.31% Azoxystrobin as I'd rather err on the side of being too cautious in application rate. We'll see what effect it has on my grass first, then I'll consider applying it to the tomato plants later in the Summer after I have done some more research. Looks promising - - but I want to use products of this type with an abundance of caution.

Raybo
Raybo, Azoxystrobin is harmful to mycorrhiza if applied to the soil, but has little effect if applied as a foiliar according to this paper.
Old April 23, 2012   #15
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Thanks RayR - - that might nix the idea of using the diluted (0.31%) as a soil drench. Question: would the resultant benefits in fungal mitigation outweigh the reduction in myco population??

Raybo

p.s. Seeing your location just reminded me. I had a case of Chef's Pasta Sauce, some Anchor Bar Wings Sauce, Grandma Browns baked beans, and a box of Buffalo Sponge candy delivered here today. Kind of miss the old tastes from there....

rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote