Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 24, 2008   #1
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

Default About my summer squash

I have 5 squash plants that are growing like crazy,they are the best looking of all my first time vegetable plants.But yesterday i noticed two immature fruits dropped off the plants,they were just a little larger than marbles...but smaller than a golf ball.All the other fruits look great and are developing well,Why would this happen?

I Don't think critters could be the culprit,i have no fencing and have had no problem with them so far.I suspect it has something to do with my crazy dog i rescued from Beirut,Nothing comes close to my yard with him here.

Jason
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2008   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

If they're not pollinated, they'll fall off as you described. Were these the first two fruit you found? If you wait a bit, there will be male and female flowers at the same time and the bees will pollinate for you. Or you can use a Q Tip and take some pollen from the male blossom and transfer it to the female flower, which is the one with the fruit attached to the back. The male flower is just on a plain stem.
Old June 25, 2008   #3
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

Ok,That's good to know.The male flowers just started so That's probably why,So i guess the fruits that started before the male flowers are going to all drop!Bummer!I did see a whole bunch of tiny bees buzzing the flowers this morning so That's good.

Jason.
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote