Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 4, 2007   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Looking for melon recommendations for next year

This was the first year we've grown melons in North Carolina (in Pennsylvania we did very well with Burpee's Hybrid and Sweet Dreams canteloupes - Jenny Lind was kind of bland to my taste).

We've had great success with Passport and Touchdown - so now want to branch out a bit for next season and try some that we've not sampled before. I noticed that Baker Creek lists many of the historic European melons that Amy Goldman featured in her melon book. They also list quite a few historic US heirlooms (Tip Top, Emerald Gem, Nutmeg, etc).

So I am looking for recommendations from you all - what has done well for you? I am more interested in flavor than anything else. What should we go for next year?
Old August 4, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Well I've heard that no garden is complete without Charentais.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2007   #3
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Amy Goldman loves the Petit Gris de Rennes so I grew that 2 years ago and was thrilled with the few I got here--very sweet, small. (Perfect season etc etc). This year I switched to the Vert Grimpant and 1 vine has completely covered the fence (it's supposed to be grown on a fence, leaving room for the tomatoes). I bet it would be a winner farther south/longer season.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2007   #4
orflo
Tomatovillian™

I completely agree with Petit gris de rennes, other very good ones are: de bellegarde, I love the Jenny Lind but you've tried that one, another very good one is unavailable :streits freiland gruengenetzt, it could be available in Baker Creek from the end of the year, because I send them seeds, but I can send you seeds, I should have some 50 varieties lying about,most of them are indeed old European varieties,
Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2007   #5
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I totally bombed on the (musk melon front) The bugs got every dag gum melon out there. Next year the melons are going on the trellis. I will watch them like a hawk.8) 8)

Deaath to slugs!!! Death to Rolley Pollies!!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2007   #6
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

I planted petite yellow watermelon which is growing like crazy. I must have 10 melons on the vine. Haven't picked any yet so will have to comment on the flavor later. Also have Sleeping Beauty and Green machine. I have them trellised on small square tomato cages and they are growing with out any problem. None are quite ready to pick yet, but seem to like the heat and humidity here in VA.
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2007   #7
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Oka melon is the favorite of my family...I don't eat them, but this one gets lots of great flavor reviews...SSE regular public catalog should have desc. and maybe picture....

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2007   #8
David52
Tomatovillian™

I have been pleasantly surprised with Asian melons, eg Sakata Sweet, seeds from Johnny's. Maybe baseball sized, a totally different taste. Eat the rinds.
Old August 6, 2007   #9
johno
Tomatovillian™

Noir de Carmes turned out to be a very pleasant cantaluope.

Moons & Stars red (Van Doren strain) is the best tasting and best producing watermelon I've grown here in the hot, humid, bug-infested Ozarks. It's a keeper for me.

Green Machine is pumping out green-fleshed melons as promised, but I don't think they are ripe yet, so no flavor report.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2007   #10
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Thanks to all for their input so far - much appreciated! Keep the suggestions coming!
Old August 7, 2007   #11
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

I second Moon & Stars for watermelon varieties that do well for me. When I tried to grow Blacktail Mtn, it came out about the size of a grapefruit, with no sweetness. The Moon & Stars reached a decent size and was very good.
Old August 7, 2007   #12
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yes, I have both Long Milky Way (black seed, red flesh) and Yellow Flesh, white seeded Moon and Starts growing - in fact...glad you asked!

Below was dessert tonight (cut up with another that we just picked, Ananas, and some Raspberry Sorbet). I've wanted to grow and taste Yellow M&S for 20 years...tonight, success!

WHAT - A - MELON! Perfect texture - crisp but tender, incredibly juicy, sweet but also watermelony....it will be back next year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4431.JPG (105.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4432.JPG (102.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4433.JPG (91.1 KB, 21 views)
Old August 8, 2007   #13
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

So the yellow fleshed M & S is very good too? I grew the round, pink fleshed one (Van Doren strain I believe). It was excellent! It's really the only watermelon variety I've had any luck with at all. I have high hopes for an Orangeglo, if it will hurry up and ripen before the danged pickle worms get here! Has anyone found an effective means to combat those things? I surely haven't.
Old August 9, 2007   #14
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

A fellow CHOPTAGer brought a Cream of Saskatchewan watermelon to last year’s Taste Fest. Everyone really liked it. Of course I saved a few seeds.

I have tried to grow several types of melons in the past including Moons & Stars red (Van Doren strain) but I’ve never had any success until this year. In the past either the melons were way underdeveloped or the beasts that live in the woods around us would feast on them.

This year I started the Cream of Saskatchewan seed inside and planted them out around the middle of May. They took a long time to get established but finally took hold. Once the first fruit set I built a wire cage around it that only a stick of dynamite could move. It is about 12” in diameter now and looking real nice. From everything I’ve been able to read about telling when it is ripe I’ll be picking it in the next few days.

Here’s hoping for the best. I’ll let y’all know the outcome.
Old August 12, 2007   #15
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

In the cantaloupe-muskmelon group, I've grown Ambrosia (many years), Savor charenterais type (many years), Trocadero charenterais, Rayyan (one year), and Petit Gris de Rennes (last year and this year as a volunteer). My very favorite is Ambrosia. Sweet, aromatic, excellent flavor, just wonderful. Mr. Woodchuck likes it, too, unfortunately, but we've still managed to harvest dozens of them to share with friends and neighbors. The charenterais-types are tasty but, in my experience, much more prone to cracking than the other types. Once they crack, it's a free-for-all bug-wise.

Orangeglo is a watermelon I wouldn't be without. Blacktail Mtn. (my first year growing it) will be back as well, and Ali Baba is another great one of the red-fleshed varieties. Moon and Stars is another great one that is taking the year off in my garden.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote