Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 15, 2007   #31
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Earl,

Whoa, now you've got me looking forward to trying that Haogen!

I'm growing it a couple of miles north of here at the office (in a slightly cooler microclimate) but the little seedlings are in a sunny spot and seem to be full of vigor.

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #32
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Shellybean, we have winds that kick up every afternoon. I've seen bees in the garden but not lately. Can the wind pollinate my watermelons? The winds pollinate my tomatoes very well!

Thanks!
materlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #33
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Wind is not going to cut it with cucummber, melons or squash because the there are male flowers and there are female flowers. In tomatoes, the male and female parts are in one blossom, but not so with melons. If you have bees in the morning before you get the wind, they're probably taking care of it for you. You'll know when you get melons that start to grow larger and that attached flower dries up.
Old June 15, 2007   #34
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Shelleybean. I'll ckeck them out tonight when I get home!
materlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2007   #35
CLa
Tomatovillian™

One of my seedless melons.
Probably Orange sunshine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seedless.jpg (245.7 KB, 21 views)
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2007   #36
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Melon question - I've grown Passport before so I know it is a slip melon. I assume Touchdown is as well (looks like a typical Cantaloupe, from the Johnny's pictures). Question is on Ananas - is it also a slip melon, or does it have to be cut like a Honeydew? And if so, how do you know when it is ripe?
Old July 5, 2007   #37
orflo
Tomatovillian™

Everytime I fill in the SSE forms I have problems finding out what's a honeydew and a musk melon? Can you tell me the exact difference and what's a slip melon? Maybe I can answer your question, I grow ananas à chaire verte and ananas à chaire rouge, other ones I am growing: Streits Freiland grungenetzt, ledermelone, vielle france, gris de rennes, lughan, orlinabel, de bellegarde,turkish leopard, sakata sweet,

Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2007   #38
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Slip melons are those that are easy to tell when to pick/when they are optimally ripe - you gently press where the stem meets the fruit and they slip off (typical Canteloupes, Galia melons, etc). Other types have to be cut from the vine - and they can either be eaten immediately, or, I assume, can sit on the shelf for a few days to ripen further (Honeydews fit this class).
Old July 5, 2007   #39
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

This year I'm growing

Cantaloupe:
Prescott Fond Blanc

Watermelons:
Orangeglo
Moon & Stars (round)
Ali Baba

I have little melons on all of these but the first to actually set was a Prescott Fond Blanc
Old July 6, 2007   #40
orflo
Tomatovillian™

Well, I gues s ananas is a slip melon then, I do cut most melons, because I'm growing them mostly upgoing in the greenhouse, and if they fall down, they just burst open, I just the ripness by looking at the place where the stem meets the melon, if there are little cracks appearing (and sometimes the smell!) over there, I cut them, and depending on the variety, eat them within a few hours or days. The only exception are the winter melons, which can be kept until December, I cut them three to four weeks after they are fully grown,
Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2007   #41
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Seedless watermelons....

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2007   #42
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Craig, from the photo for Ananas in Amy Goldman book, it looks like a non-slip variety, but I could be wrong.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2007   #43
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Watermelon:
Orangeglo
Ali Baba
Moon and Stars (from a volunteer)

Cantaloupe/muskmelon:
Ambrosia
Savor
Petit Gris de Rennes

Watermelon:
Orangeglo
Ali Baba
Blacktail Mountain

Cantaloupe/muskmelon:
Ambrosia

I think I will always plant Orangelo and Ambrosia. They are wonderful.

This is my first time growing Blacktail Mountain. I'm hoping it will be significantly earlier than the others to space out the harvest a bit. I have a Blacktail Mtn. fruit that is pretty good sized. Does the "pig-tail" die back as a sign of ripeness? How about the underside? Is there a color change that is helpful?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #44
Razorback04
Tomatovillian™

Watermelons

1. Big Crimson
2. AU Producer
3. Raspa

The Big Crimsons were planted about 1 week earlier than the others and a few are already reaching 20+ lbs.
Razorback04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2007   #45
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ah, a little slice of heaven! We harvested our first melon this week - a nice 5 pound Passport (a hybrid Galia type melon). A few things that made harvesting easy - the melon pretty much changed its color overnight, going from netting over a greenish background to a bright yellowish background. I gave the stem ★★★★★★★★ a gentle nudge and the stem popped off of the melon. Gave it a chill in the fridge, cut it open - gorgeous pale green flesh shading to salmon at the core. Melting flesh, not overly sweet (candy sweet), but well balanced and smooth - just delicious.

Now we await Touchdown and Ananas!