Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 5, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Kentucky King

I'm looking at a stack of bean packages from Burpee. However, every link says it no longer exists. The packs say that it is a Kentucky Wonder type bush bean.

I'm wondering if any of you all might know anything about this variety? It's Kentucky King from Burpee. It says, packed for 2005. Ought as well give them a try.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if they would ever sprout.

I grew the bush type one year and got tired of bending over.
Pole or nothing now.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Guess I'll try the MG thing. They're from 2005 and discontinued - what better reason to grow them?
Old March 6, 2016   #4
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

The bean gets pretty high reviews from the Cornell site... makes me wonder why it was dropped. Sounds like it could be worth trying to salvage. There is cause for hope, I grew two beans last year from 2006 seed; one had about 90% germination, the other had 10%.
Found what appears to be a commercial source... claims KY King is in stock, but "call for pricing" makes me question its availability, since other beans on the same site have their price listed.
https://www.seedsforplants.com/kentu...ng-beans-seeds
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2016   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I'm looking at a stack of bean packages from Burpee. However, every link says it no longer exists. The packs say that it is a Kentucky Wonder type bush bean.

I'm wondering if any of you all might know anything about this variety? It's Kentucky King from Burpee. It says, packed for 2005. Ought as well give them a try.
Try to start them in a small pot, instead of wasting garden space. If they do germinate, they are easy to transplant.

Kentucky King is one of 100's of bush beans I've trailed over the years. Completely forget-able "good" flavor. But then, there's Contender on the horrible end, Maxi on the exceptional end, and everything else in-between, to me.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2016   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It has rained a little over 4" since I planted them with an 80% chance of more rain tomorrow. Then it's supposed to clear off and get near 80F for a few days.
Old March 12, 2016   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

White seeded bush beans and lots of rain when planting, are not a good combination, in my garden.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #8
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Tormato, that observation mirrors my own experiences... white beans seem to be the least tolerance of cool, wet conditions. Dark colored beans, especially brown & black, have better germination under those conditions.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote