Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 14, 2008   #1
macmanmatty
Tomatovillian™

Default melons

I am located in zone 8b and our last frost date is around march 20. My question is it too late to start melons (watermelon and muskmelon) from seed and still get a decent crop? I was going to plant some at a small farm I have and wondered if they would be worth planting to get a crop . I ordered some seed about 5 weeks ago (the right time to start them) and just now got them.
macmanmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2008   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Melon seeds need fairly warm soil to germinate. I normally plant melons in the garden about two weeks after my last frost date. If your last frost is normally next week, I'd say you got your seeds at the right time. If you choose to start them indoors, now is just right.
Old March 14, 2008   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I've actually had better success planting melon seeds directly in well-enriched soil than trying to grow in seed starting mix indoors. They take off like a rocket when planted in the ground. Check out your 10 day forecast (Pensacola @ WUnderground.com for example)and if evening temps look good, give it a shot. I'd plant a few seeds and keep some in reserve.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2008   #4
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

I agree with feldon... I usually plant seed directly in the ground in hills around May 1st or last week in April. I always have great sucess with melons.
GIZZARD
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2008   #5
dgriff
Tomatovillian™

+2...I direct seed all my melon varieties after a couple years of starting. 25% of the time the seedlings would die with one bad night.
dgriff is offline   Reply With Quote