Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 25, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Lady and Knucklehull Field Peas

These are two new field peas for me. A good friend gave me the Lady seed. "Oh, these are sooo good! You have to try them!". When the seeds arrived I thought, "Oh, these are sooo small!" But I planted a bed of them because a) I had the room and b) when she asks how I liked them I won't hurt her feelings by telling her I didn't plant them.

The shelled peas are as small as the seed. The pods are about 5-5.5" long, maybe 3/8" wide. They're no harder to shell unless you just clipped your nails but it takes a lot of pods to make enough for a meal. They are good,though but to me, a field pea is a field pea taste-wise.

This year I tried the Knucklehulls because of the supposed resistance to nematodes. I can report that they are as good as advertised! They were planted in a bed where the nematodes had messed with the green sweet peas this spring but these did just fine. Big honkin' pods and nice fat peas!

The Knucklehull and Lady peas are about finished. All they’re producing now are new generations of leaffooted and stink bugs and they’ll get pulled out tomorrow. They and their bugs need to go away before the Rippers start making.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote