Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old December 30, 2008   #1
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Default Squash Questions

Any advice regarding summer squash varieties would be appreciated. My garden is around 1400 sq ft and will have cukes, tomatoes, okra, greens, dill, wormwood, greens, and beans as the primary crops. Since some of these share common pests and diseases, would appreciate recommendations for resistant yellow crook or straight neck squash varieties for piedmont NC (Greensboro).
Thanks,
Dick

"If only Longstreet had followed orders......"

"Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful woman and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas
tlcmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2008   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

tlcmd,

Vine borers are the biggest problem for me. I'll borrow a line from the Hanson brothers... "Putting on the foil, coach". Wrapping the stems with aluminum foil does wonders, for me.

While most summer squashes are "pepo", the "moschata" types seem to have the most resistance to pests/diseases.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2008   #3
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Gary,
Thanks. Would you please suggest a summer variety of "moschata" squash comparable to yellow crookneck.
Thanks,
Dick

"Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful woman and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas
Old January 6, 2009   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Dick,

I know of only a couple of varieties...

Zucchino Rampicante (Tromboncino)

and

Courge Longue de Nice

...neither that I've tried. I've heard that these will thrive where everything else dies.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2009   #5
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not big on squash, but my wife really likes the yellow crook and straight necked summer squash. Since we also grow cucumbers nearby (20 - 30 feet), I'm trying to find a disease/insect/mildew resistant tolerant summer variety which will not put my cukes at increased risk and vice versa.

Old January 6, 2009   #6
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
tlcmd,

Vine borers are the biggest problem for me. I'll borrow a line from the Hanson brothers... "Putting on the foil, coach". Wrapping the stems with aluminum foil does wonders, for me.

Gary
Foil foils the stem borers? Please tell me you're serious. That would be wonderful. When do you put it on? How tight fitting does it have to be? How far up the stem does it have to go?

Stem borers have ruined 90% of my squash crops the last three years and I would love to get a crop.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2009   #7
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post
Foil foils the stem borers? Please tell me you're serious. That would be wonderful. When do you put it on? How tight fitting does it have to be? How far up the stem does it have to go?

Stem borers have ruined 90% of my squash crops the last three years and I would love to get a crop.
No kidding! Now that I know what the little red/black bee-like moths look like I 'm after them in the garden hard. Unfortunately their markings mimic "cow ants", a wingless wasp that I suspect is a beneficial but I KNOW can sting the p***ss out of you if you mess with it. I am considering trying row covers but those little moths seem to be out all day long so I don't know how helpful the covers would be. ADVICE welcomed!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2009   #8
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

Gary, would foil would also foil cutworms?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2009   #9
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Nightshade, I'm not Gary but yes, foil will foil cutworms. It doesn't have to be foil, either. A cardboard collar will stop the cutworms as well.

Cutworms have to be able to encircle the stem (that's why larger plants aren't bothered by cutworms) and anything you can do to keep them away from the stem will work.

I have even read that just inserting a small twig into the ground next to the stem (touching it) will work.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote