Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2011   #1
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Default Kellogg's Breakfast vs Aunt Gertie's Gold

Hello, fellow tomato lovers! Freak that I am, I'm already planning for next year's garden. I'm wanting to plant a really tasty orange tomato. I'm dreaming of a caprese salad .

Can anyone give me their experience with growing these two tomatoes and what the difference is between them?

Thanks so much!

Janie
materlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011   #2
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

For me Aunt Gertie's gold was late and not very productive so I didn't really get any fruit off of to comment about. Kellog's Breakfast is very productive for me and I love the big, juicy, orange beefsteak's it produces. I may have to try Aunt Gertie's Gold again to see if I have better luck since it is supposed to have a great flavor.
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011   #3
tam91
Tomatovillian™

But to make it more complicated, what about KBX?

I'm trying that and Aunt Gertie's Gold this year.
Old May 2, 2011   #4
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I know people's tastes are different, but AAG tastes much better to me. It is late to ripen, but I don't think that would be a problem where you are.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Flavor and a tomato with tartness - Aunt Gertie. More productive and a more sweet tomato - Kelloggs. KBX and Yellow Brandywine and Elbe are very similar to Aunt Gertie's Gold. Kellogg's is the deepest orange, the others are a shade more pale.
Old May 2, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I love both varieties, KB and the PL KB called KBX and also AGG.

The first two are orange but AGG is not orange. Many folks have said thatg AGG is late, and it is, and some have also said that production isn't that high, but I wish some of you could have seen the half bushel of fruits I harvested off of each of two plants one season.

AGG has a deeper depth of flavor than do the other two,not as sweet, but I think the taste of both is great. So grow one next year and the other the year beyond that. Why ponder over which ONE to grow over the other for next year as I see it.
Old May 2, 2011   #7
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all your info. I prefer a sweeter tomato with complexity, so I'm thinking of going with Kelloggs Breakfast. I planted one about 7 years ago and in the first month it got "the crud" and I got rid of it quick!

Looks like it's time to try again. I only have room in my raised bed for max 7 plants, so I don't have room to waste.

Thanks again for your replies!

Janie
Old May 2, 2011   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by materlvr View Post
Thanks for all your info. I prefer a sweeter tomato with complexity, so I'm thinking of going with Kelloggs Breakfast. I planted one about 7 years ago and in the first month it got "the crud" and I got rid of it quick!

Looks like it's time to try again. I only have room in my raised bed for max 7 plants, so I don't have room to waste.

Thanks again for your replies!

Janie

KB is susceptible to CRUD but that's no reason to chuck it. There's several threads here about CRUD and since I'm the one who coined th word, I suggest that you just remove the affected leaves and if it means that all you have left is just a tuft of foliage atop the leader stem of a transplant, so be it.

Once those plants are set out the CRUD goes away and the plants are just fine.
Old May 2, 2011   #9
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
KB is susceptible to CRUD but that's no reason to chuck it. There's several threads here about CRUD and since I'm the one who coined th word, I suggest that you just remove the affected leaves and if it means that all you have left is just a tuft of foliage atop the leader stem of a transplant, so be it.

Once those plants are set out the CRUD goes away and the plants are just fine.
Carolyn,

I bought your book back in 2004 and there began my love of tomatoes! My book is now held together with rubber bands!

Thanks for everything!

Janie
Old May 3, 2011   #10
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

I love AGG and have been growing it for a few years. That said, I also like KB, but KBX is the better of the 2 KBs. They are much different tomatoes in my book. The only common thing is they are not red and are listed as yellow/orange. Both AGG and KB are fairly late in my garden, I'm not sure which is earlier as I have only grown both together 1 time and I just don't remember. They are much different colors(even with my male color shade blindness), KBX is orange, AGG almost orange, but more yellow. If I had to pick it would be AGG for me.
Tom
Old May 3, 2011   #11
tam91
Tomatovillian™

For what it's worth, I have the CRUD in my seedlings in the greenhouse just now - and my KBX seedlings are happily immune to it.

Am I right btw - Kellog's and KBX are pretty much the same, except for the leaf? Or have people noticed other differences?

All my heart varieties got it, plus red pear and sudduth's brandywine. About 25 other varieties did not.
Old May 3, 2011   #12
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

I have not seen any difference between KB and KBX, other than the CRUD(which I have not experienced) and leaf, but the KBX seemed a little more vigorous to me. They were side by side in the garden. I am growing KBX and AGG this year, if I ever get in the ground. I've got a couple more weeks to go.
Tom
Old May 3, 2011   #13
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

One more thing. I've recently seen posts somewhere claiming AGG and Yellow Brandywine are one and the same. I don't believe it. At least the seeds I had were different tomatoes. Anyone else???
Old May 3, 2011   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakers View Post
One more thing. I've recently seen posts somewhere claiming AGG and Yellow Brandywine are one and the same. I don't believe it. At least the seeds I had were different tomatoes. Anyone else???
I think I saw it as well but I don't remember where I saw it.

For me they are two distinctly different tomato varieties and if truth be told I much prefer AGG to Yellow Brandywine on taste alone.
Old May 3, 2011   #15
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
I couldn't remember where I saw it either and I wished I had commented at the time, but the thread was off on another tangent and I didn't. And AGG vs YB? I agree with you 100%. And NOTHING I have grown is any later than Yellow Brandywine, but it does produce a crop.
Happy Gardening,
Tom