Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2011   #1
t-ham
Tomatovillian™

Default organic fert vs the other stuff

Hi Folks,

This is my first post other than my intro on the Town Hall forum.

My question is this;

What do the 'villians feel regarding organic fertilizer vs MiracleGro? I was always under the assumption that MG is sort of benign compared to other chemical fertilizers. I know I've seen salts build up over time, mostly in houseplants long overdue for repotting, but what is your opinion on using it in the garden? Do people use it regularly or just as a boost once in a while?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
t-ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I use it diluted when potting up my plants and as a boost to all of my plants when they seem to need it. I have never had any leaf burn or anything with it but I am very careful in how I apply it making sure that plenty of water is used so there is no danger of too much nitrogen at once. I like it for the most part but it is only a booster as are all of the liquid organic fertilizers I use. Most of my fertilizer comes from compost, manure, cottonseed meal and alfalfa pellets; but sometimes the plants just seem to need a little pick me up.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011   #3
t-ham
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, thats about the way I use it. Most of my nutrients come from compost and manure, and I usually turn in a bag of Espoma Plant-Tone (4# bag) at the beginning of the season with the bonemeal and lime.

Thanks
t-ham is offline   Reply With Quote