Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 1, 2018   #1591
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear you got your delivery, Carolyn!

Stay warm everyone!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1592
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

We had a white Christmas and a white new year in this part of KY, that's only happened once before.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1593
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

When I renovated my kitchen/livingroom 8 or so years ago, I opened them up to each other with an 8 foot opening. Looks so much better, but I had to remove several feet of baseboard heat. Since that time, it is been several degrees cooler in that area than the rest of the rooms on that floor. This morning I could not get the area up above 63-64 degrees. I decided the oven needed a good cleaning anyway, so I turned on the self clean. Jacked it right up to 70 degrees, lol. Toasty warm. I also filled up on oil even though I had almost 1/2 a tank, because I will need it eventually and prices are only going to go up with this demand for heat. Many said almost a week for a delivery, but my usual guy just over the line in Massachusetts, has the lowest price and did it in 2 days. So I have been lucky. I also have a fireplace, but its too cold out to go out and carry in the wood. Temps have been 0-9 degrees and up to -20 with the wind chill. Supposed to go up into the 20s for 2-3 days and then back down to single digits for 2-3 days and then above freezing. YAY! Back into the mid-upper 30s is going to feel balmy, lol.

Last edited by SueCT; January 1, 2018 at 10:01 PM.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1594
bower
Tomatovillian™

Relieved to hear you got your kero, Carolyn. Yikes!
And PmcG, I hope you can stay warm enough!

We aren't suffering the Arctic effect here - the wind has been extreme but apart from that, just the usual winter temperatures. In F, it's 25 now dipping to 19 tonight, -7 C. That is right on the normals for us. 5 cm to shovel yesterday, 5 cm today, it was a breeze really although I would rather be lying on a beach LOL. It was good to break a sweat, out in the fresh air.

My mom had a power emergency last night, service was not behaving and she got scared and shut it all down. Called the power company in the morning and they came right away. Found the problem, some scary thing, he said she made the right call shutting off the power because it could have caught fire. Sometimes a cold night is the better choice.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1595
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There will be people die over this event rest assured.
Many will be homeless.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1596
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's frightening to read everyone's plight with this weather. Mine is nothing in comparison to yours. Be safe and try to keep warm in this awful time.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #1597
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just got back from a town near me, and a very large portion of it did not have power. Something blew in a transfer station. It's 9 degrees F outside right now, low of 3 tonight.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #1598
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Yikes. That is why a portable generator is great insurance. I bought one when we lost power for several days in 2011 and right after I bought it the power came back on. Haven't lost power since. Best insurance I ever had. I hope they get that power on fast before anyone dies.
Old January 2, 2018   #1599
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Not that I need one at the moment, but I left the gas in my generator too long, and it dissolved the fuel delivery system. Our gas in Illinois has a lot of ethanol, which is very bad for small engines.
Old January 2, 2018   #1600
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I keep gas in it so I can start it at least a couple times a year and run it for a while, but I try to turn off the gas line and run it dry before I shut it off. Hopefully I remembered because for the first time I don't think I got out there to start it up and run it this fall. I usually do it in the spring and fall. And keep Stabilizer in the gas. I hope it doesn't die because that will surely be the next time we have an extended power outage.
Old January 2, 2018   #1601
oakley
Tomatovillian™

10º this morning.
Just have a plan in case of lost power.

We lost power a month ago when it was much warmer and that
kicked us into gear to prep for times like this.

We put in a transfer switch after StormSandy so we will have heat
and gas cooktop. Minor appliances are on that panel. Fridge and freezer. Some lights.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #1602
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Yup, I had a transfer switch installed when I upgraded my electrical, too. It is the safest way to use a generator, for the linemen as well as you. It is fairly expensive to have done, though, around 1000.00 around here. If you need to use a generator make sure it is no where near windows and doors. Carbon Monoxide is a real danger.
Old January 2, 2018   #1603
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm getting tired of the cold already. Our hot water pipe to the kitchen sink froze. I have a feeling that a mouse chewed the insulation on the pipe. It's only 10-12' from the hot water heater, so it won't be hard to find. It is supposed to get up in the low 40sF tomorrow.

About the gas for generators - even treated gas will eventually go bad. It has happened to us before. Luckily, it was in the gas canister and not in the mower.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #1604
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My grandma is in a nursing home right now that is a total dump. She will hopefully be out at the end of this week and into a better facility. Last night a pipe froze in her ceiling, which made it then rain in her room. A few years ago, they ran water lines through an unheated attic, and on top of that used cpvc instead of flexible pex. So they put the lines where they would freeze, and then used material certain to break when that did happen. I'm sure that plumber was the lowest bid for the job.
Old January 2, 2018   #1605
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Cole, that's awful about your grandmother. I hope some positive changes can be made quickly.

My stepdaughter is stuck in a blizzard on the freeway in New York. Yikes!

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote