Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 27, 2016   #2221
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Stunning Barb, nice work! Might be a good time to start a thread about your garden in the photo forum. These ought to be shared. What do you think?
Yes totally agree!!

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #2222
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Barb, they look great! Have you had any Champion 2 ripen yet? Wondering how the taste is. Do you have any Big Beef growing?

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Ginny - I have 1 BigBeef growing; I haven't tasted Champion 2 yet; I'm pretty sure Larry is growing it to and maybe has grown it already. Both produce perfect looking tomatoes. I've grown BB twice before and always consistently good even last fall with the whitefly virus; if a red tomato doesn't taste better than BB, then I don't grow it again.

Other tomato news - I'm growing Big Brandy and Brandy Boy which had a lot of fame from TVer HudsonWY. Big Brandy - has Brandy in the name and has HUGE tomatoes but really not that many; it shares the EB with super producer Champion 2. No problems with the tomatoes.

BrandyBoy - one in EB; one in RP. The one in the RP had a cluster of 6 all with BER (early on); it wasn't the first cluster either. I think it had one more tomato with BER but has finally settled down; it still has LOTS of tomatoes - all perfect looking.

BrandyBoy in the EB is really disappointing; none with BER but tomatoes will get REALLY Big (approx. 11 oz) and then develop a soft spot (not BER) on the side; I haven't seen any hole. I threw out 5 of them yesterday. There is only one big one left and it looks OK so far. Other small ones are fine.

It's EB companion, Orange Slice F2 (a Kellogg imitation and supposedly as good) has had ZERO problems. I posted a picture yesterday of Orange Slice F2 in RP on the Orange Slice thread.

----
Another hybrid I gave another chance to is Momotaro; one in EB one in a black container. NO PROBLEMS, very productive, perfect looking tomatoes, plant thankfully is not huge. The one in the black container has fallen over from wind so many times and knocked lots of tomatoes off. It would have been totally amazing otherwise.

---
Other hybrids I'm growing - JetStar and Skyway (Larry is growing that one too). Seeds from you Ginny.

Chef Choice Orange F1 - one plant in EB; companion is Brad Gates Small mix.
Chef Choice is killing BGM in productivety.

BTW - my BGM looks to be a GWR tomato. It's really not very productive especially the one in the EB. The other in the RP is better but nothing compared to ICD or Painted Pink.

Another Cherry F1 I'm growing is Lizzaro; I hope they taste good b/c plant is a Patio plant; not high just wide; super productive. Lots of reds ones ready to pic.

====
Marsha - Unless it is the year, Dana's DR is so much more productive than Rebel Yell. Also, General Lee is a really HUGE plant so much larger than DDR.

I will probably create a garden thread once the biggies start ripening.

=============
Everyone in Florida is doing great; I gave seeds to a librarian and told her what to use and she is doing great. I returned her EB to my next door neighbor and she is growing SunGold in it using the 7-7-7 EB fertilizer. I gave her some Calcium Nitrate and TTF and have her add once a week and hers are doing as good as mine where I am using the Masterblend which is so much more time consuming.

Last edited by Barb_FL; November 27, 2016 at 08:07 AM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #2223
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I read an article regarding using wood chip mulch to improve soil. Then I proceeded to think that possibly by added a fair amount of compost to Florida sandy soil then covering it with maybe 1 ½ inches of wood chips that it might support nematode resistant plants as well as a Raised Bed filled with compost etc. Any ideas about this?
http://www.gardenmyths.com/mulch-how...t-affect-soil/
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #2224
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

The BGM is unstable. I did get a green when ripe plant but the seeds I sent you were from the one that looked like a mini version of PBTD. Sorry it hasnt turned out to be productive. The three i grew were productive like crazy and thats one of the things I loved about them. But you never know.
The others sound interesting and curious to see which ones you like the most. I finally got a lot of tomatoes off my pink brandywine plant in Philly over the summer (it was just late getting started compared to the other plants) and they were my favorites of the crop.
Curious to see what you think of the Brandys.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; November 27, 2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old November 27, 2016   #2225
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Ginny - I have 1 BigBeef growing; I haven't tasted Champion 2 yet; I'm pretty sure Larry is growing it to and maybe has grown it already. Both produce perfect looking tomatoes. I've grown BB twice before and always consistently good even last fall with the whitefly virus; if a red tomato doesn't taste better than BB, then I don't grow it again.

Other tomato news - I'm growing Big Brandy and Brandy Boy which had a lot of fame from TVer HudsonWY. Big Brandy - has Brandy in the name and has HUGE tomatoes but really not that many; it shares the EB with super producer Champion 2. No problems with the tomatoes.

BrandyBoy - one in EB; one in RP. The one in the RP had a cluster of 6 all with BER (early on); it wasn't the first cluster either. I think it had one more tomato with BER but has finally settled down; it still has LOTS of tomatoes - all perfect looking.

BrandyBoy in the EB is really disappointing; none with BER but tomatoes will get REALLY Big (approx. 11 oz) and then develop a soft spot (not BER) on the side; I haven't seen any hole. I threw out 5 of them yesterday. There is only one big one left and it looks OK so far. Other small ones are fine.

It's EB companion, Orange Slice F2 (a Kellogg imitation and supposedly as good) has had ZERO problems. I posted a picture yesterday of Orange Slice F2 in RP on the Orange Slice thread.

----
Another hybrid I gave another chance to is Momotaro; one in EB one in a black container. NO PROBLEMS, very productive, perfect looking tomatoes, plant thankfully is not huge. The one in the black container has fallen over from wind so many times and knocked lots of tomatoes off. It would have been totally amazing otherwise.

---
Other hybrids I'm growing - JetStar and Skyway (Larry is growing that one too). Seeds from you Ginny.

Chef Choice Orange F1 - one plant in EB; companion is Brad Gates Small mix.
Chef Choice is killing BGM in productivety.

BTW - my BGM looks to be a GWR tomato. It's really not very productive especially the one in the EB. The other in the RP is better but nothing compared to ICD or Painted Pink.

Another Cherry F1 I'm growing is Lizzaro; I hope they taste good b/c plant is a Patio plant; not high just wide; super productive. Lots of reds ones ready to pic.

====
Marsha - Unless it is the year, Dana's DR is so much more productive than Rebel Yell. Also, General Lee is a really HUGE plant so much larger than DDR.

I will probably create a garden thread once the biggies start ripening.

=============
Everyone in Florida is doing great; I gave seeds to a librarian and told her what to use and she is doing great. I returned her EB to my next door neighbor and she is growing SunGold in it using the 7-7-7 EB fertilizer. I gave her some Calcium Nitrate and TTF and have her add once a week and hers are doing as good as mine where I am using the Masterblend which is so much more time consuming.
A Master Gardener recommended Champion II to me and I've been growing it for several seasons. It has worked very well for me but now I have found several varieties that work as well or better. I would describe the taste of Champ II as ordinary. I am dropping it from my grow list this spring, at least for now.
In past seasons most varieties grew better for me in Raised Beds than in 10 gallon containers, but this season I’m growing some varieties which are doing better in the containers than in a RB.
New varieties this fall for me are as follows:
BHN 1021 F1 does very well in RB and 10 gal
Charger F1 very well in 10 gal
Danny F3 very well in 10 gal
Esterina Cherry F1 very well in RB and 10 gal
Grandma Pick’s Hybrid F1 very well in 10 gal (monster vine loaded with Toms) not so good in RB
Tycoon F1 very well in RB and 10 gal
Skyway F1 very well in 10 gal not good in RB

Varieties which I continue to grow:
Bush Early Girl F1 super performance in 6 gal
Brandywine Cherry Dark OP very well in RB very well 10 gal
Fourth of July F1 very well in 10 gal and as always early
Tomande F1 extremely well in RB very well in 10 gal (great variety versatile and tastes good too)

Varieties which I may add in the spring:
Chef’s Choice Orange F1
Dana’s Dusky Rose OP (based on Barb’s results)
Dona F1
RST-04-106-T F1 (root stock)
Purdue’s Pink OP (has anyone grown this in FL and if so what were your thoughts?)
Vorlon OP
Old November 27, 2016   #2226
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
I read an article regarding using wood chip mulch to improve soil. Then I proceeded to think that possibly by added a fair amount of compost to Florida sandy soil then covering it with maybe 1 ½ inches of wood chips that it might support nematode resistant plants as well as a Raised Bed filled with compost etc. Any ideas about this?
http://www.gardenmyths.com/mulch-how...t-affect-soil/
Larry
Larry, I think the nematodes are just going to look at you and laugh for going to all that effort, and it still didn't help. Our nematode infestation is far too strong no matter how much organic matter you improve the soil with. I really do think that.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #2227
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default My Dana's Dusky Rose

All the flowers have set, but I think the later ones are delaying fruit growth until the earlier ones mature.
First photo- fruit
Next, shows compact size of the plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161127_113155-816x612.jpg (229.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20161127_113208-816x612.jpg (278.8 KB, 66 views)
Old November 27, 2016   #2228
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Larry,

Did the Danny tomatoes ever get any bigger? Nice list you have there.

Ginny

Old November 27, 2016   #2229
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

Which plant is that? Sorry if I missed where you said.

Your plants look healthy and beautiful!

Ginny

Old November 27, 2016   #2230
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Marsha,

Which plant is that? Sorry if I missed where you said.

Your plants look healthy and beautiful!

Ginny

Thanks Ginny. Dana's Dusky Rose. It's in bold title of the post.
Old November 27, 2016   #2231
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Larry, I think the nematodes are just going to look at you and laugh for going to all that effort, and it still didn't help. Our nematode infestation is far too strong no matter how much organic matter you improve the soil with. I really do think that.
Nematodes certainly would be an issue. But I'm not sure they are any greater an issue with native soil than they are with Raised Beds setting directly on top of native soil. As a side note I just pulled Espada bean plants, which are not known to be nematode resistant and the roots on almost all showed no evidence of nematode damage. A few had some damage. I Also pulled some lima bean plants that had done ok but not great. The roots were an absolute disaster. How it managed to produce any beans is beyond me. Assuming that nematodes wouldn't be significantly worse than in an RB in contact with the soil, then the question becomes whether an improved native soil plot could produce as well as a Raised Bed consisting of compost. I know from experience just growing in Native Soil with a minimum of attempts at improvement does not compare favorably with growing in a RB with compost However, even here there are exceptions; e.g. Kale, Brussel Sprouts and a few varieties of beans seam to grow equally well in each.
The real question is in growing of vegetables where nematodes are not an issue; such as Brassicas, and varieties of plants which have been bred to be resistant of nematodes, is it reasonable possible to bring FL native soil to a point where it would be a easier and more cost effective method and produce results as good as or better than using raised beds filled with a non soil media, such as compost?
Of course one could create a test case and give it a go but others advice could be of huge value before venturing out with one's own experiments.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; November 27, 2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old November 27, 2016   #2232
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Ginny. Dana's Dusky Rose. It's in bold title of the post.
Oh that explains it. That doesnt show up in the app on my phone... :-)

Ginny
Old November 27, 2016   #2233
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Larry,
Did the Danny tomatoes ever get any bigger? Nice list you have there.

Ginny
Thanks, Yes, The Danny F3s in general they got a bit bigger now . Some are as big as a golf ball, others a bit smaller. The taste seems fairly good but they seem a bit tough. Probably to be expected from what I think you said was originally a commercial tomato. Tough so they still look good when they get to the store. I have been eating mostly in salads along with Esterina and I like them just fine and plan to grow them again. I think I will try one in an Raised Bed this Spring, because they were originally commercial they may have some resistance to nematodes. Who knows I may try grafting a couple to root stock. The only successful graft I have made to date is when I grafted a Summer Girl to Maxifort root stock, which turned out to be a super productive plant. $100 of root stock seed to get 1 plant. That may be a record for bad grafting.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; November 27, 2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old November 28, 2016   #2234
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Larry now that you mention it, they did take a long time to ripen, which was probably bred into them since they came from grocery store stock.

My tomato plants are loading up and starting to look more like grapevines than tomato plants. What great weather for all our tomato plants. Most of mine are over 6 ft tall and have already set 30 to 40 tomatoes or more with hundreds of blossoms still popping up. This is the best fall weather for tomatoes I've experienced.

Hard to get a good picture because it's still dark out. Running off to work.

Ginny
Old November 28, 2016   #2235
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

See Ginny! I knew It! Haha.