Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 29, 2018   #16
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

I think all stinkbugs migrated into my garden this summer. There was real infestation on my tomatoes. They prefer Black Beauty and Zapotec from what I have noticed. Most tomatoes had damage from them and become sticky.

I didn't sprayed them with anything, from all what I hear there is not real organic solution for them, no natural predators here as far as I know except maybe Mantis and I seen only one in my garden. Maybe next year I will try just killing them as much as I can, they are easy to remove from tomato plants with a stick.

Interesting they prefer varieties not native to my location compared to Novosadski Jabucar, of course when tomatoes are gone they are not picky, they attack everything. I found them in smaller numbers even on cucumbers.
Old November 29, 2018   #17
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

while I had a moderate amount of stinkbug damage this Fall I have hardly seen them in the house this Winter. I opened the grill to use it the other day and I roasted next years batch of bug.
Old November 29, 2018   #18
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

organic X 3

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-DEC...BCZ22/55658648

Works great. 100% effective. Ready for 2019. Claud

Use it a couple times a week early in the morning when the little beasties are sunning themselves on top tf the leaves. Brush attachment works great for eggs.

Last edited by saltmarsh; November 29, 2018 at 07:03 PM.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2018   #19
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I really didn't see many stinkbugs this past season but I did have an abundance of leaf footed bugs this fall and they were very destructive. They were really bad in October and early November and did a lot of damage to my tomatoes and bell peppers. I didn't really do any full bore spraying for them as I had already gotten all the tomatoes and peppers I needed and could still get a few for eating. I did however keep a small hand sprayer with very soapy water and Permethrin so when I found a hatch of juveniles I would spray them. They are much easier to kill at that stage and if you are vigilant you can control them somewhat with that limited spraying. I would also go out just before dark and find adults perched on fruit and spray them individually which also helped.

With so few stink bugs this past year I am hoping that I won't see many again this year but you never know.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2018   #20
teyger
Tomatovillian™

My tomato crop was completely devastated by stinkbugs this past season! I try to stay organic in my garden and there was no way I could keep up with the stinkers. It was really depressing. My tomatoes were looking SO FRICKING AWSEOME!!! The best they had ever looked... before the stinkbugs got out of control. I got very little harvest. It's maddening.

The stinkbug damage went FAR beyond just cosmetic damage. The tomatoes variety was unrecognizable from being so discolored from the damage.

I am thinking of taking drastic measures next season. Since I live in South Louisiana with the hot and humid climate, I might build rain shelters (to help fight disease and fruit splitting) and enclose the sides with bug netting. I had put up a rain shelter over 1 bed this past season but early on it was destroyed by a tornado and I didn't bother rebuilding it.

Stinkbugs are by far my main nemesis every year and this past year was the worst.
teyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2018   #21
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I saw very few stinkbugs. Quite a few horworms though. And Japanese beetles were numerous and destructive.

And no honeybees. :-(
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2018   #22
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I've had the same kind of year that "oldman" had. My first killing of a stinkbug was just last night when one flew into my computer display. I don't remember any in the garden, although I had some of the signature spots on some of the tomatoes I harvested. And, yes, the Japanese beetles made lace out of all my grape leaves.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2018   #23
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
while I had a moderate amount of stinkbug damage this Fall I have hardly seen them in the house this Winter. I opened the grill to use it the other day and I roasted next years batch of bug.
I've had them fall out of my shoes as I picked them up to put them on.

Now nothing gets picked up without shaking out any hiding occupants.

Yuck. How do they get in the house??
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019   #24
FredB
Tomatovillian™

As bad as stinkbugs are for tomatoes, they are even worse for cucumbers. When they suck the juice out of cucumber leaves, their toxins cause the leaves to shrivel up, and then the stinkbugs hide on the undersides of the shriveled-up leaves where predators can't get to them. Eventually they will kill a cucumber plant by destroying all the leaves.

There is a tiny insect called a Samurai Wasp that lives by parasitizing the eggs of brown marmorated stinkbugs. They managed to hitchhike from Asia to the eastern US a few years ago, and are slowly working their way west. They made it as far as Ohio in 2017, and I hope they make it to Indiana this year.

https://www.stopbmsb.org/biological-...cus-japonicus/
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019   #25
Ironwood
Tomatovillian™

We have many many stink bugs here. In the house, on the house, the jerks.

I do love to get them with the shop vac, but a solution I found that works pretty well is i collect them and put them in a mason jar. I keep the mason jar in the freezer. I take a handful to the bird feeder pretty often. Some birds, Wrens in particular, love them. I make sure to offer stink bugs year round to the birds.

I have not had any problems with stink bugs in the garden. The birds take care of them. They even clean the smelly little buggers off my siding. I just had to make it known to the birds the stink buffet was open and attract the right birds.

We have several house and Carolina Wrens nesting on the property now. Also have seen other birds that did not normally frequent before started offering stink bugs about 15 years ago. We even freeze them into suet.

It is also fun to have guests lose bets and have to sniff the jar!
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019   #26
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I don't know of any insecticides that are effective. I used to see them occasionally where I used to grow tomatoes

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.yJLNH3RNixM

But not where I am now. The following link might help.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...o-tomatoes.htm

I considered it to be mainly a cosmetic problem, since where they bite the area becomes sunken and under it is a hard white area where their toxin has killed the tomato tissue.

So what I would do ASAP was to just dig out the area with a small spoon,it usually would scar over,that's fine with me since I was a home grower,not a commercial farmer.

Also adding that they seemed to prefer almost ripe tomatoes.

Carolyn
Mine have been way beyond a cosmetic problem. I also have leaf footed bugs which are similar but better flyers.
Each year I’ve lived here has been worse than the last. Last summer we didn’t get any edible tomatoes.
I’m going to do the best I can to stay on top of them this year and plan to keep a shop vac and extension cord out there,try to vacuum up what I.
I may experiment with kaolin clay. I have surround spray and haven’t tried it yet but will try it this year.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote