Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 8, 2007   #31
pastorkim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
My wife Kathy makes great eggplant casserole. I'll see if she'll let me have it to post. :-)
Hey Earl? What did your wife Kathy say about authorizing the posting of that eggplant casserole recipe?
pastorkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2007   #32
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Default Sorellina's Caponata

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....24&postcount=4

I made this a couple of weeks ago and canned it. We had a family gathering this week and everything I made is GONE (almost a gallon of the stuff) ...I couldn't open the jars fast enough to keep everybody happy!

Thanks for the recipe - it is awesome!

Now I'm trying to find a really good hiding place for another batch so there will be some left for me!
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2007   #33
Biscombe
Tomatovillian™

Loved reading these recipes!

We had a friend from China visiting over the summer, with our eggplant glut, she coked this! (sorry no measurements was watching!

Li's eggplant

Fry up some eggplants in oil add a splash of vinegar, some sweet wine and some sugar (I added honey which worked well!) add some corriander, serve with rice! Yumyum.

I also grill eggplant then top one side with pesto and cheese

Grilled eggplants also make a nice topping for spicy lentils
Biscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2007   #34
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Funny, I was just talking to my wife yesterday about what to do with all the eggplant we have. Boy, we just slice it, lay it on paper towels, salt them for 15 min, dab up all the excess water, rinse, coat with egg and italian bread crumbs, and fry for a side with pasta. Sometimes Rollatini too.

Great thread.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2008   #35
levad
Tomatovillian™

wok it or saute it with onion or shallot, zuchinni, yellow squash. slice all equal thickness 3/8"+-

high heat with olive oil and butter

start onions first until carmalized then add the rest

1 or 2 min season w/ salt, pepper

fantastic
levad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2008   #36
levad
Tomatovillian™

wok it or saute it with onion or shallot, zuchinni, yellow squash. slice all equal thickness 3/8"+-

fresh mushrooms are optional

high heat with olive oil and butter

sweat onions first until carmalized then add the rest

1 or 2 min season w/ salt, pepper, maybe a bit of cayanne if you're adventurous

fantastic side dish.

everything cooks down so use quite a bit of everything

dave

ps: morels are a great addition if you like 'shrooms
levad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2009   #37
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

Peppers
Eggplants
Onion
Garlic
Potatoes
Tomato Sauce
salt
pepper
a little vinegar
pinch Cayanne pepper
Mix together, season to taste and bake til brown and done. When the potatoes brown its done.

Last edited by maricybele; August 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM.
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2009   #38
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I just made your recipe. Outstanding and simple!!!
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2009   #39
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Mojo's Eggplant Dip: Peel eggplant but don't fret about getting every last bit. Slice and/or dice. Fry in olive oil with salt and pepper. When eggplant begins to brown, add garlic in QUANTITY and cook just long enough to soften up the garlic without burning. Transfer to blender. Add curry, yogurt and a bit of lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Adjust flavor; if necessary, throw in one pickled habanero (blend VERY thoroughly). Transfer to Corningware dish and give to Mrs., who will take it to work and hog all the credit.
Old October 22, 2009   #40
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for all these recipes on how to cook them,its the first time ive ever grown them so i'm looking forward to tasting time, its early in the growing season here.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #41
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Melanzane (Eggplant) alla Parmigiana Siciliano

Eggplant Parmigiana is Sicilian in origin and is found in various guises all over the island. I am a vegertarian and this is one of my absolute favorite meals!
  • 4 large eggplant
  • oil for frying
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 15 roma or other sauce tomatos, peeled, seeds removed, chopped into quarters.
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a handful of basil leaves, roughly torn
  • 4 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Slice the eggplant into rounds, place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave to disgorge for about an hour. In a medium skillet, sweat the onion and the garlic in a little oil and add the tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook over a medium heat until the sauce is thick and glossy. Heat 1/2-inch of oil in a large skillet and when it is very hot, add the slices of eggplant and fry until golden brown, then drain on paper towels. Cover the bottom of a gratin dish with a little of the tomato sauce. Place the slices of eggplant in the gratin dish, cover with tomato sauce, basil leaves, and grated Parmesan. Repeat this process until all the eggplant is used up, finishing with a generous layer of Parmesan. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Serve at room temperature
Old August 28, 2010   #42
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Gave my supervisor a Rossa Bianca eggplant. This is how she said she makes it. Not much different really from some of the recipes on here but this is a very simple one.

She cuts the eggplant about 3/8" thick (judging by the space between her fingers while illustrating), dips them in egg batter then in (dried?) bread crumbs, before deep frying them. She said the egg batter coats them enough they don't soak up the oil.

I had tried lazily baking an eggplant simply by cutting it in half, not even peeling it, then coating both sides with cooking oil as I had no olive oil. As you can imagine it came out TERRIBLE. Yuk! Spit out the first bite and threw the rest away. It was mushy and green and nasty. My error of course so I will have to give it one more shot cooking it a better way. Looks like I'll have two more Rossa Bianca before our first hard frost sneaks in. I also have a couple Diamond growing and about ready to be picked.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2010   #43
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

The super lazy way is to cut about a quarter inch slices, olive oil, garlic, lemon, salt, pepper or spices to your liking toss in a bowl and slap it on the grill. I do this with any harvested veggie zuchhini, eggplant, summer squash, garlic, onions, green onions with peppers I put on just plain.
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2010   #44
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing Maricybele. Sounds good!
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2010   #45
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

looking forward to more of these recipes as i have a few varieties growing this year. thanks to pinakbet, fellow member here who was kind enough to share his eggplant seeds with me.
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote