Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old August 26, 2018   #631
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I sold a loaded purple ghost pepper to day to three young people, I believe they were Chinese. They mulled over the flowers, but did not buy them when I got the point across that they were annuals, after a broken English conversation. A girl picked up the ghost pepper, paid me, and was walking off when I tried to tell her, "Hey, you know that's hot, right? You understand? Hot?" I think she got it, but I'm not positive.

More zinnias in late August - I am breaking all the rules.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20180825_075859_631622.jpg (449.3 KB, 210 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #632
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Cole, how much did you charge for the peppers? by the piece or in a basket? I planted 15 plants in the high tunnel and they are beautiful but what is a fair price for them?
Old August 26, 2018   #633
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Sadly, just $3, as was everything on that table. I have lowered prices as the summer progresses and demand dwindles.
Old August 27, 2018   #634
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

WalMart got a late shipment of zinnias in 6 packs after they had already cleared out their greenhouse of all but Angel houseplants. The flats were gone in two days.

Yours are beautiful. Did you sell out?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018   #635
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

after the success of selling annual flowers over the Summer months I think I will start some intentionally next June for Summer sales. I was absolutely amazed to sell them. and all of them were people who had spots that just needed a little color where something died or just a spot of color in the yard or to replace a hanging basket that died from neglect ...
Old September 10, 2018   #636
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

From this past weekend, it was a 4 hour market and sold over half of it. That's 16 cases!!
This is a bad pic, the sun was so bright I couldn't get a good one.

I'll have only 2 free weekends till Dec 15th. That many festivals and markets to close out the year. The next big one will be the Omelette festival.
https://www.giantomelette.org/
Old September 10, 2018   #637
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Nice table, very attractively arranged. And nothing is going to go bad if it doesn't sell.

I know what you mean about the sun. Some of my best table pics are on cloudy mornings.
Old September 11, 2018   #638
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oh my, Rajun. Some lucky lucky shoppers at that market. Yum!!!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2019   #639
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Cole what are you growing for potted plant sales this year? I'm only doing plants. So far I've bought multiple Zinnias, Dwarf Sunflowers, Coleus Kong mix, many marigold varieties, and will be buying all my HB's premade this year. Anything that would be perfect for a 4 or 6 inch pot I can start now for spring/summer sales will work. I'm considering geranium seeds? Idk they seem easy enough and I can keep rooting from cuttings. Anyway I'm always super busy now so not much time for TV, but hope you are well and wish you luck this year!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2019   #640
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Great to see you post again BVV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Cole what are you growing for potted plant sales this year? I'm only doing plants. So far I've bought multiple Zinnias, Dwarf Sunflowers, Coleus Kong mix, many marigold varieties, and will be buying all my HB's premade this year. Anything that would be perfect for a 4 or 6 inch pot I can start now for spring/summer sales will work. I'm considering geranium seeds? Idk they seem easy enough and I can keep rooting from cuttings. Anyway I'm always super busy now so not much time for TV, but hope you are well and wish you luck this year!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2019   #641
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I don't grow for market, but as I've had no luck buying bedding dahlias around here, I am growing some myself from seeds: https://www.rareseeds.com/mignon-single-mix-dahlia/ (The seed packet had about 60 seeds, not the 30 listed.)

They came up in 3-4 days on a heat mat and have been really easy to grow so far. Maybe other people would like them, too? I find them really cheerful.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2019   #642
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
I don't grow for market, but as I've had no luck buying bedding dahlias around here, I am growing some myself from seeds: https://www.rareseeds.com/mignon-single-mix-dahlia/ (The seed packet had about 60 seeds, not the 30 listed.)

They came up in 3-4 days on a heat mat and have been really easy to grow so far. Maybe other people would like them, too? I find them really cheerful.
Good to know! I need something besides zinnias to use as fillers around the garden.
Old February 22, 2019   #643
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Great to see you post again BVV!

+1 ! Happy New Year BVV! Hope it'll be a great season with none of that flooding you folks had last year... I was worried about you!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #644
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
+1 ! Happy New Year BVV! Hope it'll be a great season with none of that flooding you folks had last year... I was worried about you!
Thanks y'all, you too bower. We've had so much rain the past year I'm afraid my house is going to float away!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #645
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Thanks y'all, you too bower. We've had so much rain the past year I'm afraid my house is going to float away!
us too, but we live on a huge slope. this isn't good to walk on when it is so wet but the water isn't standing on us. the creeks have been brimming full for the past two weeks and rain again for tomorrow.

Wishes for a great year this year for you from here too.