Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 12, 2018   #1
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Default Flower seedlings in window?

I think I have messed up. I started my flower seedlings too early (I forgot how fast they grow)! My grow lights are being used 24/7 for tomatoes and peppers so that isn't an option. The flowers are zinnia, marigold, and nasturtium. They are in a window but they are stretching and beginning to look a bit leggy. I am wondering at what temperature is safe to begin taking them outside? Next couple of days is forecasted to be quite chilly with rain.

I feel silly for starting them too early, I must learn to keep better notes.
I don't want to lose them. Any advice is much appreciated.

Jillian
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #2
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

Would it help to take them outside and cover with big plastic bottle creating small greenhouse?
Old March 12, 2018   #3
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Javafxnoob, thanks so much for the suggestion. I went down to the basement and drug out a grow box (a cheapie foiled lined container with cfl grow light bulb), so maybe this will suffice until I can get them outside some. It's just flowers so I am not going to freak out if they don't make it lol.

I would have thought to get more feedback from those that do flowers but all is well.
Old March 12, 2018   #4
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I love zinnias, and I bought a pack of Giants of California. I just sprinkle the seeds on the ground
in spring. If I just want a few plants, I'll start them in peat pellets outside in spring also. I have
never started them inside. Well, if they don't make it you'll have plenty of time to start again.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #5
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Thanks roper2008, we shall see what happens! I will consider it an experiment and learn from it. I do have some seeds left so I will at least have a few once the weather warms up.