Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 28, 2014   #31
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Tropical,

How did the carrots do?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #32
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Mike... bringing back this thread.

While the Red Brandywine pack was mislabeled, I do not know if that lone seed was some other variety, or if it was a mutation/sport of Red Brandywine. All saved seed have been stable, so I doubt that it was a cross.

As for there not being a variety "Seek-No-Further Love Apple", I agree. I gave it that "working" name, if or until I can identify the true variety, if it exists. I believe if the real variety is out there, I would be able to identify it, and then dump the SNFLA "name". For this tomato has a unique flavor, to me, along with a unique texture. The best way I can describe the texture is firm, but melting. I've never trialed any beefsteak or heart tomato, of any color, with a texture like this. Of the several hundred RL pink beefsteaks that I've trialed, none come close to either the flavor or the texture. Along with the interior structure, which I very rarely see in a tomato, it simply stands apart from everything Ive seen in about 600 pink beefsteak (both RL and PL) varieties.

The "working" name is for people like you, who when seeing the name for the first time, simply have to find out about it. Then hopefully, many will trial it, and maybe, just maybe, someone will say...I KNOW WHAT VARIETY IT IS!

Gary
Old February 6, 2015   #33
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
...For this tomato has a unique flavor, to me, along with a unique texture. The best way I can describe the texture is firm, but melting... it simply stands apart from everything Ive seen in about 600 pink beefsteak (both RL and PL) varieties.

The "working" name is for people like you, who when seeing the name for the first time, simply have to find out about it. Then hopefully, many will trial it, and maybe, just maybe, someone will say...I KNOW WHAT VARIETY IT IS!

Gary

Okay, you convinced me! I need to find room in the garden for this one this year.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #34
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I thought you had already tried it.
The flavor, to me, is about as perfectly balanced as can be. It is not a sweet, nor a tart, tomato.
Old February 7, 2015   #35
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I thought you had already tried it.
The flavor, to me, is about as perfectly balanced as can be. It is not a sweet, nor a tart, tomato.

Not yet. I got the seeds in last year's swap package and put it on the Must Grow list, but somehow didn't save a place for it...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #36
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Great Enabler,

I wish SNFLA did better in my garden. Everyone here in my household really digs the flavor, the few shall be coveted.

snfla 1.jpg

snfla 2.jpg

I shall continue seeking. Yum factor high on this one.

Last edited by Gerardo; January 17, 2016 at 03:08 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #37
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Great Enabler,

I wish SNFLA did better in my garden. Everyone here in my household really digs the flavor, the few shall be coveted.

Attachment 55664

Attachment 55665

I shall continue seeking. Yum factor high on this one.

One of the MMMM participants crossed SNFLA with some other varieties in 2014. One cross was his favorite tomato in 2015.
I'll see if any were crossed with black varieties.
Old January 19, 2016   #38
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default woohoo

Quote:
One of the MMMM participants crossed SNFLA with some other varieties in 2014. One cross was his favorite tomato in 2015.
I'll see if any were crossed with black varieties.
Excellent news. Doesn't have to be ashtray, I'll give any SNFLA cross a shot. Flavor was quite good. Depth.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote