Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old March 14, 2006   #1
Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

Default Basil and Summer Savory starting dates??

I have never started these from seeds before, so I'm clueless. Should I start them with my maters or do they grow too fast in 2 months to be under lights inside? I'm starting my mater seedlings tomorrow and wondered if I should start my basil and summer savory then or wait until say 30 days before transplant time. Thanks in advance.

What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds. - Will Rogers
Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2006   #2
redwing
Tomatovillian™

Dunkel,
I usually start my annual herbs about 4 weeks before last frost, my flat leaf parsley I start with the tomatoes and peppers, as well as any perennial herbs that I am replacing, sage, rosemary, thyme,etc. . I know I should bring my rosemary in every year, but I always decide to wait "just a bit longer" and it is frozen solid once again!
I took off the next couple of days to clear out the sunroom for it's transition into the plant room to start my tomatoes, peppers, rosemary and parsley...and lots of flowers too! I usually try for St. Patrick's Day. Happy planting and happy St. Paddy's Day too!
Jayne
redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I don't start annual herbs until it is warm enough to start them outside. If temps are right, they germinate and grow very rapidly. When you take your tomato transplants outside to harden off might be a good time to start.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2006   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I haven't started summer savory from seed for at least five years so I can't recall on that one, but I start basil the same day as I sow tomato seeds, about six weeks before last frost.
Old March 15, 2006   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Dunkel--

Here's some more information that might be helpful. I happened to be looking through the '06 print catalog for Johnny's Selected Seeds today and noticed that they have 'days to harvest' (from germination) information for their herb selections. According to them, most basil takes around 65 days or so, some more (especially Holy Basil), some a little less. The summer savory says 60-70 days to harvest.

The same information is on their website; after choosing a variety, just click on 'more details'.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/c...x?category=205
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote