Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 19, 2006   #1
scottfsmith
Tomatovillian™

Default Sun Gold child is red - ?

I have a Sun Gold volunteer in my garden. it just has to be from Sun Gold because it is a cherry which has that distinctive Sun Gold taste to it. But, its not yellow, its red. I had thought yellow was a recessive trait which would mean Sun Gold had two genes for yellow and so all the F2s would be yellow. Either I am wrong about that, or I have a Sun Gold x ?? F1 and not a Sun Gold F2 in my patch. Both the skin and the flesh look to be red to me.

In any case I'm saving seed to see what its like in the next generation. It is producing excellent, sweet cherries in this generation but is a bit too prone to cracking to be a keeper. If I can get rid of the cracking I would prefer it to Sun Gold because its about twice as big and I never get enough Sun Golds off my plants to have enough tomatoes to make a dish out of.

Scott
scottfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Scott, your volunteer is no doubt from a natural cross since almost everyone who has tried to dehybridize Sungold has ended up with red fruited plants at one point or another.

In the genetic background of almost all cherry varieties that have that flat truss trait is a red currant selection b'c that's what they use to breed in the flat truss trait.
Old August 20, 2006   #3
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Scott,

It must not be all that unusual to get an occasional red from even a new pack of seeds as has happened to me several times from two sources.

Been a while since been there, but think the red variety is even offered for sale on one of the German sites. (I might be wrong)

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2006   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Been a while since been there, but think the red variety is even offered for sale on one of the German sites. (I might be wrong)

John, I think you're right but my memory says that it's T and M who offered it and maybe still are offering it, for I didn't go check. Japanese bred for Sungold and T and M first introduced Sungold so it would make sense that they also introduce the red hybrid of same.
Old August 27, 2006   #5
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Not sure what you crossed to get that avatar Keith, but the red skin and the yellow flesh should give up a good one.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote