Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 22, 2006   #1
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Default Accidental Cross

Last year, I was growing a couple of containers of Raspberry (tomato), seeds courtesy of Carolyn. Raspberry is a pink small tomato (not a cherry), around the size of a Lime Green Salad tomato - bigger than a cherry but not full-sized.

I saved some seeds from one of the plants. This year I am growing two plants from the saved seeds. One is definitely a Raspberry. The other one is a very vigorous grape tomato (color unknown so far).

While I did have 1 Grape (red) tomato in my garden last year, also in a container, I did not save any seed from it. So I can only assume that either the original Raspberry seeds were unstable or that they accidentally crossed. What do you think the odds are that the ones I'm growing represent a cross? And, once the tomatos ripen, what color do you think they will be? I garden in a small area and the plants are relatively close to each other.

Robbin

rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2006   #2
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Interesting! Thanks for that possible explanation. I saved seeds from more than one of last year's Raspberry tomatoes. I will report back in when they start to ripen. The plant itself seems much more 'indeterminate' (bigger) than the Raspberry was.

Robbin
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote