Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old October 25, 2012   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Salsa Verde

Today I picked the Tomatillos, some peppers and made salsa verde.

Here is the result and I have to tell you I out did myself.
Wow this stuff is good, better than I have ever had before.

Here is what I did.
3 Habanero Peppers
Too many Tomatillos most ripe and some green.
1 Poblano Pepper
3 red Jalapeno peppers and 2 green ones.
1 red chilli pepper I cant remember the name of.
Vinegar.
Salt
Sugar
1 small can of pineapple in it own juice.
I cooked the tomatillos and blended the sugar, salt, peppers, vinegar, and pineapple.
Then I put the tomatillos in the blinder with the other stuff and blinded again.
This concoction was then put in the kettle cooked down a little and put in the jars you will see below and hot water bathed for 15 minutes.

This is not a recipe, it is not a lesson on processing it is simply meant to tell you what I did.

Try at your own risk.
Worth
Attachment 29809

Last edited by Worth1; November 17, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Looks fabulous Worth. Wish we could all sample some.

I'll save it for next year's "to make recipes".

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Looks fabulous Worth. Wish we could all sample some.

I'll save it for next year's "to make recipes".

Zana
Why wait till next year we get whole tomatillos here in the 1 gallon can cheap, something like 2 dollars or so.
Well maybe not you do live in Canada.
I never liked slasa verde from tomatillos till I made my own to my taste, it was too sour.

This stuff is off the hook.
Just a hint of pineapple but not over powering.
A bit of smokiness from the habaneros but mild enough for anybodies taste.
Just the right amount of salt, sugar and vinegar and not tasting pickled.

I think I'll make some pasta and have Ardilla en Salsa Verde with fettuccine alfredo.
Nothing like fusion food.

Worth
Old October 25, 2012   #4
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Oh man, Worth.....

You're killing me...."Ardilla en Salsa Verde with fettuccine alfreddo" .....yummmmmm!!!!

That does it....definitely going to have to pick up a case of those cans the next time in in SL. LOL I better be driving down....or the overweight luggage is going to kill me. LOL

Zana

Even with the Ardilla! LOL ; )

Last edited by Zana; October 25, 2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: added to the message
Old October 27, 2012   #5
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Looks great Worth! All those great hot southwestern peppers used to be pretty scarce around here, but with the influx of Mexican folks, it seems certain small grocers are regularly carrying some of the ingredients that you all have access to regularly. I was pleasantly surprised to find a few different varieities of chiles!
Old October 27, 2012   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Worth,
I got to make my version of sauce today. I make a salsa verde too, but today I made what I call banana pepper catsup. Thing is, I have the sneaky suspicion my Banana pepper catsup is closer in taste to your salsa verde than my salsa verde is!

Does a rose by any other name smell as sweet?

Every year my Banana pepper catsup comes out a little different, because I never measure, and ingredients are whatever I have at hand. But this year it just happened to come out really well, best so far.

Here is how I do it.

2 parts sweet yellow banana peppers
2 parts sweet yellow tomatoes or sweet ripe tomitillos
1 part crushed Pineapple
1 part mandarin oranges
1/2 part sweet onion
1/4 part sugar/honey or to taste
1 single green cayenne pepper per quart or to taste
fresh Tarragon to taste
fresh mint to taste
dash of cinnamon to taste

Use a blender on high to blend it smoothy consistency.
Slow cook the mixture several hours and reduce until it resembles a thick apple sauce.
Use a funnel to fill a catsup type bottle.
Cap and refrigerate.

There are very few sweet sauces I like, but this one works! Dipping chicken nuggets, glaze on a Thanksgiving ham, just like catsup on any sandwich, like Bar B Q sauce in baked beans or on the grill, in Chinese recipes instead of sweet n sour sauce. You name it.

I will be posting it also in recipe section, but I posted here to find out what you think.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2012   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Scott it actually sounds good.
My salsa verde is not sweet I use the sugar to kill the vinegar as I absolutely despise anything sour.

Not enough tropical fruit is used in the USA for sauces.
It is now only starting to take hold.
Old October 28, 2012   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Worth,
Next year I intend to try it with mango. Couldn't find any good ripe mangoes this year.

I have made Mango hot pepper glaze for a ham or stir fry before, so I am thinking it just might work in my catsup. You never know. Some times my experiments work and sometimes they don't. This year though the catsup worked! And not a drop of vinegar! It gets its tang from the pineapple and orange.

Ironically though my yellow banana pepper catsup works, I have yet to find a red catsup I like yet. But that's ok because I have several red salsa recipes, both fresh and cooked.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2012   #9
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Scott,

Mango is commonly used in the Caribbean in hot sauces.....and yummmmmm...I can vouch for the pairing of hot peppers and mango. Grace (manufacturer from Jamaica) produces a huge range of hot sauces, including some Mango and Scotch Bonnet! Many of the tropical fruits are used too.

I agree with Worth. Your sauce looks good, and I'll have to take a crack at it next year....thanks for sharing. I didn't get any made this year what with the move. (Lost many of my plants as they didn't get watered enough in the week or two immediately following their move to the new place.)

Something more to look forward to next year.

Zana