Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old October 1, 2019   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Smokin' Barbeque Old-School

Barbeque has turned into "Smoking" over the years. I guess it's what's popular? I have gotten to the point of not liking smoked foods.

The other day, my wife wanted to cook her favorite baby back ribs. She asked how she should cook them? I responded that ribs are her favorite, so cook them the way she wants. She looked outside at our two smokers and an impressive pile of oak wood beside them and chose to use our large slow cooker instead.

We talked about it later and chose to use the oak firewood to burn out a stump. (Mostly her talking - imagine that ) She and I have been together since 1985. We always barbequed allowing some smoke. Eventually we gave in to the people telling us that you have to smoke meats and don't use barbeque sauce. I have seen so many briskets ruined by just smoking them. That's $50 and a lot of work for dog food. (Edit - we don't have a dog anymore) So we're going to go old-school the way we used to barbeque and not just smoke it.

I expect anyone to disagree, but what do you think?

Last edited by AlittleSalt; October 1, 2019 at 02:27 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2019   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

It's your food, cook it as you like it, not just because some one else says one thing or another.
Old October 1, 2019   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I prefer real open pit BBQ over hot smoked so called BBQ.
In other words direct heat is what I like most and couldn't care less about a smoke ring.
I'm with you Salt on this one.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2019   #4
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

I rarely smoke foods anymore but do cook on a pit. I have a smoker that I will smoke some appetizers and cold smoke stuff like peppers, canadian bacon, buckboard bacon, salt and other things.
Appetizers with bacon do well in the smoker.

I cook large cuts of meat on my pit. My goal when burning in my reverse flow pit is to see no smoke at all, I won't go as far as using a burn pit and shovel coals though.
Old barbecue was cooking indirectly off of hardwood coals, smoke flavor was a by product of this method.
I only cook ribs, pork butts/picnics and large cuts of beef on the pit, and the occasional sausage. I don't like loin and Chicken off of the pit.

When I do ribs on the pit, it used to be a modified version of the 3-2-1 method at 250°F
5- 6 hours . Depending if I was doing Spares trimmed St. Louis or Baby Backs.

I started doing Ribs on an open fire pit with my Schwenker at about two hours, and I love them. I do the bend test but pull them before the bend is completely vertical.

For Ribs I am not keen on the temp probe for doneness (not a word) so I don't probe, I also don't believe that pull back is an indication of doneness (not a word).

There Is so much parroted information out there like "Fall off the bone tender" I call BS, I want my ribs to taste like meat, not mush. Having a bite through like steak. I don't want the entire hunk of meat falling off the bone and slapping crap on my chin. I want to chew the meat off of the bone and control what goes in my mouth.

Another thing that peeves me is how everyone says ribs are done when you get a good pull back, to me if you get a lot of pull back you just cooked your ribs to death or steamed them. Again this is all my personal opinion.
Pic#2 below has pull back but I noticed that you get more pull back when you foil the ribs, If I do decide on doing the ribs on the pit, I don't foil anymore because I think it changes the texture of the meat.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2019   #5
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

You certainly don't have to follow the crowd and smoke everything but it's just another skill to have when needed, just like you mentioned ruining a brisket.

I grew up on BBQ, on a charcoal pit but somewhere along the way the named changed to grilling on a charcoal pit which is totally opposite of what I consider grilling. Grilling to me is cooking on a gas GRILL.

The taste of BBQ cooked on a charcoal pit with the only smoke is fat dripping on hot coals is what I would call BBQ. Also cooking with wood coals brings a whole new flavor. It's all a matter of preference and that's what brings BBQ to what you grew up on and how the cook makes BBQ.

I'm not opposed to either method of cooking, I use a gas grill for steaks, burgers and vegetables, the smoker for all types of meat and a charcoal pit for old school BBQ.
It's a pit but can be used as a smoker.

Ribs glazed with pecan pepper jelly and you still get a small smoke ring! There's those ribs with pull back Sqwibb talked about, YEP, wrapped in foil for 1 hour after the initial 1 hour cook then finished unwrapped for a few minutes.

BBQ sauced chicken.

This is a typical plate when I BBQ, rice dressing is a must.

Last edited by Rajun Gardener; October 1, 2019 at 10:26 AM.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2019   #6
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

This is a bad thread to be posting in when all you have for lunch is a cup of coffee with splenda!
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2019   #7
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Salt, different strokes for different folks. Cook your food the way you and your family prefer. I prefer smoked because I'm the pickiest person I know when it comes to bbq sauce.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2019   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIBB View Post
This is a bad thread to be posting in when all you have for lunch is a cup of coffee with splenda!
I had 3/4ths of a flat plain salami sandwich for lunch I ate 1/4 of it fur morning break .
Old October 2, 2019   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I agree with do it the way you want it. The "Needing to smoke it" comes from local people saying, "This is how it is done". (That's where the ruined brisket part comes in to play) I swear some of the local 'Pitmasters' must be using old electric poles for firewood . If you were to visit Jan and me and wanted some barbeque cooked locally, we would go to the grocery store and buy some meat and vegetables and cook it at home.

Those are some excellent looking pictures above - thank you.

Worth, I like the open pit too. As a mason, I didn't build any barbeque pits, and yet, I know what I would want to build for myself. It wouldn't cost more than $300 and would last longer than most houses.
Old October 2, 2019   #10
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I love to grill. I use my gas grill almost every night in the summer and once in awhile in the winter when I can manage the deep snow. Due to this forum and some people posting wonderful photos here, I bought myself a smoker. I love it! I have enjoyed everything that I have made. Still my main cooker is my grill. I adore it and it makes me some wonderful food. I think that next year i will get myself an old fashioned charcoal grill. I still love the taste of a steak cooked hot on one of those.
Hmm, that open pit sounds divine Salt. Want to share your plans?
Old October 2, 2019   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Salt. Want to share your plans?
Pour a concrete slab the size needed.

Build a firebox out of firebrick and put a metal door in the back for loading wood to the fire and a cleanout area.

Put in several stalks of 5/8" rebar spaced out to support a wire mesh shelf close to the top (For charcoal)

A grill on the top.

Then lay a stone veneer for looks. Use stone or other heat proof material for the top surface.

Other options would be how big you want it - like extra surface area - or set a table beside it. It all depends on how much you want to spend on it both monetarily and physical work.
Old October 2, 2019   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A good sized grill for a normal person and family I think would be 2' X 3'.
I still haven't found all free the stuff I need for the Argentine grill I want.
All the metal stuff I have hauled home would cook a dinosaur it is so big and heavy.
Old October 2, 2019   #13
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I noticed that you have been posting recently about cooking meals for 2 sometimes, just you and your wife. I am not sure how or if your circumstances have changed, but I am glad you are at least occasionally cooking what you and your wife like and getting a little enjoyment from cooking and eating the food you cook, and not catering to others 100% of the time. Life is short.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2019   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I noticed that you have been posting recently about cooking meals for 2 sometimes, just you and your wife. I am not sure how or if your circumstances have changed, but I am glad you are at least occasionally cooking what you and your wife like and getting a little enjoyment from cooking and eating the food you cook, and not catering to others 100% of the time. Life is short.
Just my kind of person, very observant.
Old October 3, 2019   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have yet to build a fire in the main chamber of my offset smoker.
The one directly underneath the cooking grills.
Might do it this weekend, need to burn off the grills anyway.