Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 15, 2019   #31
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
For round shaped tomatoes I use currant, cherry, golf, pool ball, baseball and softball

That is a very useful metric for visualizing size!

But it only applies to people in the USA. Other countries around the world generally don't play these sports and so the majority of their citizens wouldn't be able to use it... though I think I'll employ it when talking to neighbors!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2019   #32
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

A couple of my favorites for beauty and flavor that were not mentioned so far are Sweet Carneros Pink and AAA Sweet Solano. For the longer shaped ones I like Maglia Rose and Matt’s Hornet. For GWR Esmeralda Golosina. One of the dwarfs I grow yearly and am really happy with that would fit size-wise is Coastal Pride Red. Can’t really go wrong with Martina or Bloody Butcher, for that matter.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2019   #33
RainCoast
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
That is a very useful metric for visualizing size!

But it only applies to people in the USA. Other countries around the world generally don't play these sports and so the majority of their citizens wouldn't be able to use it... though I think I'll employ it when talking to neighbors!
RainCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019   #34
RainCoast
Tomatovillian™

For me, Matina is sweeter than Stupice.

RainCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019   #35
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Saladettes.

Jaunne flamme, Pink Ping Pong, Bloody Butcher are all standouts for me. Purple Bumblebee is a slightly smaller, also productive, saladette.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019   #36
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I really liked Mountain Magic, strong, productive, great taste. This year I went for "plum" size, right above the 100g mark, Granadero and Plum Regal, a few weeks away from tasting.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019   #37
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I tend to prefer cherries in my salads. What I love the saladettes or Salad ones for is oven dried tomatoes. Blush, Fuego Verde and Jaunne Flamme are the perfect size for that and taste fantastic. Little Lucky is also perfect but slightly larger. I just slice them in half or thirds depending on size, place on a tray, spray some olive oil on them, add salt and basil, and pop in the oven set at 150 to 170 degrees and leave them for several hours to “dry”. Hours to bake, one minute to consume! These dried varieties are also great in salads as well. I prefer them used this way in a salad to fresh.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019   #38
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

This year is my first year for Burpee's Honey Delight Hybrid. A real winner for me. Nice plant with good foliage. Fruit are a bit larger than golf ball size. Typical weight (with no real pruning) 1-2 oz. (How they get 4 oz in their description is unfathomable to me.) Nice mild sweet/tart taste. Awesome replacement for Esterina which to me is sweet, but bland. Super productive. Only an occasional splitter. This is another "keeper" for me.

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/to...rod003387.html

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; July 26, 2019 at 06:09 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2019   #39
george k
Tomatovillian™

Fred,

Is the little red hybrid with stripes you're referring to Talvez? I'm growing one now, and you're right, it is wildly productive, almost giving my Sungold a run for the money. They are a nice size, nice looking with the stripes. All blemish free, and no BER. Haven't had any blush yet, maybe in about a week or so. Can't wait to see how they taste!
george k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2019   #40
Solanum315
Tomatovillian™

Unpopular opinion, but I like Thai Pink Egg. Beautiful to look and and good in actual salads. Also ridiculously productive..

http://worldtomatoes.blogspot.com/
Solanum315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #41
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Ha ha Soanium315. I just read the review over at Tania's website on Thai Pink Egg. I won't be adding it to my collection in a gazillion years

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #42
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
This year is my first year for Burpee's Honey Delight Hybrid. A real winner for me. Nice plant with good foliage. Fruit are a bit larger than golf ball size. Typical weight (with no real pruning) 1-2 oz. (How they get 4 oz in their description is unfathomable to me.) Nice mild sweet/tart taste. Awesome replacement for Esterina which to me is sweet, but bland. Super productive. Only an occasional splitter. This is another "keeper" for me.

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/to...rod003387.html

-GG
I'm glad you tried it; I got the seeds last year when Burpee had their 5 for $15 - you may have told me about that.

I grew 2 plants of it; one in the earthbox and the other in a root pouch. It was super productive until July when I couldn't stand going out (heat) and stopped watering everything.

Also in EB, the companion plant didn't stand a chance; so fall season (soon) I will plant it by itself.

I will also grow SunLemon instead of Esterina, which I did like at one time but it got Powdery Mildew in January. I think Esterina might be better when it is warm out.

---
BTW - I got those seeds you mentioned in another thread. Looks like another big cherry from Japan. I will share some seeds if it is a winner.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2019   #43
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Hi George,

Talves should be a small beefsteak.

We have another one that is similar to what you are describing, but we haven't released it yet. So I'm wondering what you have!!

What other things are you growing? Perhaps a tag mix-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by george k View Post
Fred,

Is the little red hybrid with stripes you're referring to Talvez? I'm growing one now, and you're right, it is wildly productive, almost giving my Sungold a run for the money. They are a nice size, nice looking with the stripes. All blemish free, and no BER. Haven't had any blush yet, maybe in about a week or so. Can't wait to see how they taste!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2019   #44
george k
Tomatovillian™

Fred,
Here’s a picture of my Talvez. I guess they’re
a bit larger than a saladette. I got the seeds from
Artisan Seeds. Very good taste. A keeper for me.
Thanks for developing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9A8ECB0D-E97C-42BA-9568-4A957ABABE13.jpg (325.2 KB, 110 views)
george k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2019   #45
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

George,

It looks like your Talvez fruit quality was very good. Did you grow them under cover?

Fred
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote