Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 15, 2019   #16
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, I hit the wrong key

Last edited by loulac; April 15, 2019 at 10:33 AM.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #17
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I made the same mistake twice...

Last edited by loulac; April 15, 2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old April 15, 2019   #18
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I have suffered from such an accident and can sympathize with you.
If we can keep some soil round the roots transplanting will work most of the time. if the roots are naked we get heavy losses with such small plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Oh, that's painful. Some folks say to give a little less light right after transplanting or trauma.
Itr certainl helps to keep transplanted seedling for 2 or 3 days in a warm place but far from sunlight.
Old April 15, 2019   #19
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #20
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Time for another update. Loulac, I am hitting the wrong buttons too. In the post above, I copied from my computer and posted directly in the thread without using manage attachment. I can't see the photo, but perhaps some can. The correct posting method is used below.

It is obvious to me which seedlings were transplanted too early. They are in the two six pacs with the lighter color growing medium in the upper right of the tray. These are not as robust as where the seed germinated naturally mixed in a shallow tray with seed starter and up-potted when true leaves were presenting. One big mistake I made was to pot the weak 4 day old seedlings in miracle grow instead of repotting back in the seed starting formula. Too heavy a mix for something fragile. Shortcut was my fault, I know better but tried to save a step.

Select varieties were restarted, but KarenO and Marsha's True North Tomatoes were limited , and hopefully some are survivors of the fall. I started two seeds of Mark's MatSu from 2017, which were the last of that source, but restarted f6's are up and growing nicely. The last pl in the group, , Stupice, was restarted and you can never have too many anyway!

- Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drop tray update april 15.JPG (151.8 KB, 83 views)
Old April 15, 2019   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Your survivors look quite good, won’t be hard to tell them apart down the road
I hope you get to try some of them anyway. There’s always next year too and seeds should be fairly easy to come by after this season.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #22
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Exactly my plan, KarenO. It will be fun to follow the development of the fruit and try and guess what is which before ripening. In the hodgepodge of 12 surviving PL plants are: 2 MatSu Express, 2-3 Stupice, and 4-5 of each the generously shared True North releases. All are visually distinct, early, and delicious!

I have just enough space to grow all the PL's in a double row with a few tbd rl's at the ends. Potting up this weekend. Plant out in 3 weeks, maybe.

- Lisa
Old April 16, 2019   #23
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Lisa, I have extras and will share if you need a few more. Fewer this year than normal, but still...
Old April 16, 2019   #24
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Similar thing happened to me about a week ago. I dropped my container of Cher. Purple just a few days after they started to germinate. Was a struggle trying to get the just sprouted seedlings back into the container and soil mix. A week later and things are good. Only lost 4 or 5 out of the batch.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2019   #25
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I think your plants look great for what they have been through.
I recycled an old used plug tray to plant snaps in.....and yesterday I went to move it to another greenhouse where it is cooler and just as I swung it over the bench the corner broke off. down onto a flat of bacopa they smashed and upside down to boot. NOOOO! it was for a friend. I spent time sifting through the soil looking for survivors. they take a long time to grow. I guess I will see how they survive.
Old May 8, 2019   #26
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

The soil might dry up in time to plant this weekend. I have picked out a few of the dwarf and Liliput/Limbo which were obvious. Hopefully I haven't let any of those slip by in the plants that are going into the open field.

One of the RL plants is suckering, very big time, almost as much as Maglia Rosa. I would like to narrow down what that might be from the list above. Any good note takers have an idea what it might be?

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; May 8, 2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old May 8, 2019   #27
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Lisa, I have extras and will share if you need a few more. Fewer this year than normal, but still...

Thank you very much for the offer, Paul. I panicked and started many more than I can use myself and have already begun the gifting process. Maybe sometime we can do a plant exchange for what we wished we had started. I think you are getting even more rain today than us "northerners". Enough!

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; May 8, 2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old May 8, 2019   #28
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Getting sick of the rain and flooding for sure. Maybe by next week we can get some planting done. Tomorrow a flat of tomato plants go to the Post Office for folks to take home.