Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 28, 2008   #31
grovespirit
Tomatovillian™

New to me this year:
Swiss chard "bright lights" 6 weeks old, Looking pretty in a windowbox!
Purple choy sum- Waiting to germ.
Cress, Fine curled- Not yet planted
pepper, "Thai dragon" X "medusa" (personal cross, it is doing GREAT! Big clusters of medium heat Thai peppers.)
Rainbow Perilla "Magilla"
Mizuna- germinated 5 days ago
Anuenue Hawaiian lettuce (did not germ. for me in my MiracleGro potting soil, waaah. Will try again with remaining seeds in a soilless mix.)
Tokyo turnip (grown for greens), 2" tall
Okinawan spinach (purple on one side of leaves) from rooted cutting, 2' tall now.
Local dwarf tomato, "Kewalo" :Uniform ripening determinate bred at University of Hawaii to be resistant to bacterial wilt, mosaic virus and nematodes. 6-8 oz., red, round fruit with excellent sweet flavor. My 2 plants were STOLEN!! Next time these go in my back yard not the front.

Native hawaiian red currant tomato, volunteers that appeared in a rosebush pot. Hubby is fascinated with em, so I'm growing them out for now. But if I join the dual hemisphere dwarf tomato breeding project these will have to go... they x-pollinate everything too easily!

Chinese water spinach (Ipomoea aquatica)- doesn't need to be grown in water, just kept moist!

Hopefully... purple tomatillo and Fairy tale eggplant, if a trade for the seeds goes thru!

Maybe also (if I can find someone to trade for these):

#Chervena chujski miniature sweet pepper
#Mexican Sour Gherkin (dwarf teensy cuke from landreth seeds)
#Sweet Quartz VFNT: dwarf cherry tomato, reputed to resist my local pests and diseases.
#Udmalbet egg shaped, or Lao white egg-shaped eggplant

If you have even as few as 3 fresh seeds of the above to trade, please let me know. I don't have all my veggie and flower seeds on my trade list at this time, so I might have something you'd like... Please give me a chance to see what your wants are, if you have any of the above.

Or, if you're planning on buying the above, perhaps we can make arrangements to split the seed packs. For instance I could buy Chervena chujski, and you could buy the Mex Sour gherkin, and we could each send half the contents to the other person!

Thanks.
grovespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2008   #32
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Ruth,

What are your thoughts on Guatemalan Blue?

Mine have been killed by vine borers, the past two years. This year it goes under a floating row cover.

Gary
Gary,
My plants lived just long enough to produce a few squash and then went down to vine borers. I have to say I found them rather bland compared to a butternut or buttercup squash. They kept well, though. Two lasted until the end of February out in the garage.

I hope your floating row cover works for you (keep us posted). Vine borers are a real problem in my garden and produce one heartbreak after another.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2008   #33
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Are you growing any for the 1st time ever?

2008 will be my first outdoor garden since my family had a garden when I was a kid. I have grown tomatoes & peppers indoors these past couple of years with a 'little' success. But I know growing outdoors will be a whole different ballgame. Greater risks with weather, diseases, and animals, but also a much greater potential for reward in terms of what may be produced.

Besides tomatoes, sweet & hot peppers, I'll be giving the following a try:

Beans - Boston Favorite, Charlevoix Red Kidney, and Tiger's Eye are the ones I have seeds for. Will try at least one of those.

Corn - If the packet of seeds that I bought 3 years ago are still good, I'll grow a few of those.

Garlic - Planted last fall. Will check on them soon. They're planted at my mother's house and I haven't been over there to check on them recently. Am curious to see if anything popped through the soil. I've had them covered with a few inches of leaves all winter.

Melons - Will probably try both Ali Baba & Orangeglo. I also have seeds for Collective Farm Woman, Kansas & Thayer I may try if I can find room.

Potatoes - For some reason I have a real fascination with growing potatoes so will give it a go. Carola, German Butterball, and La Ratte are the varieties I put an order in for yesterday from Ronnigers. Now I'll have to wait and see if I actually receive them. I've had trouble with Milk Ranch two years in a row, and I believe Ronnigers owns them. Something like that. They are associated somehow. I plan on growing these in 10-gallon grow bags.

Rhubarb - We always had rhubarb when I was young. My mother asked that I grow some of that so will try to find a place that sells that this spring.

I've grown basil before but it will be my first year growing Cinnamon Basil. I'm looking forward to it.

May also try a couple of sunflowers, space permitting.

Lots of work, I mean fun, ahead these next few months!

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2012   #34
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

I'll be growing Perilla for the first time ever. Have never even tasted this before but am anxious to give it a try. If anyone has any great cooking ideas for this, would love to hear it. So far, all I know is it's packed full of nutrition and is often used in salads.
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2012   #35
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

This year will mark a lot of firsts for me...

1st time growing lettuce and onions
1st time starting from seed
1st time growing non-hybrid tomatos
1st time growing each specific variety of tomato - Winsall, Cherokee Purple, Sungold, Wes, Brandywine from Croatia, Iditarod Red and Yukon Quest
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2012   #36
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Aside from tomatoes, peppers and eggplant (which always include new things), here's what's new for me this year:

Carrots in large pots - Scarlet Nantes and Little Fingers
Many new lettuce varieties (to me, European heirlooms) courtesy of my friend Jeff
A white beet - Albino
Some new basil varieties - Mozzarella and Christmas
A few types of dried beans
Spaghetti Squash
Old February 5, 2012   #37
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

potatoes from seed (from Tom Wagner)
onions from seed instead of sets
Twenty-one out of thirty of my tomatoes are all new to me, including some for the Dwarf Tomato Project

I can't wait, it should be a fun, surprising season ahead with lots to learn!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2012   #38
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Aside from scads of tomatoes (last year was a record for me at 26 varieties; this year I have 110!) I am looking forward to rat tail radishes, where you eat the seed pods, not the root. I also ordered a bunch of sweet potato trials from Sandhill Preservation.
FarmerShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2012   #39
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Apios, ground nut, for the first time ever. Time will tell if this legume can adapt to amended clay soil.
Old February 5, 2012   #40
kath
Tomatovillian™

I can't help myself- aside from too many new tomatoes, I'm also growing lots of new kinds of garlic, pole beans, carrots, cabbage, sweet corn, lettuce, melons, red onions, shell peas, peppers, shallots, zucchini and potatoes- will be giving TPS a try this year, too. There are too many to list individually, but I love experimenting and finding what we like and what grows best, and I get almost as excited about many of them as I do about tomatoes.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2012   #41
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

I'm pretty much growing new of everything this year... exciting, huh? But the most exciting thing for me is definitely the dwarf project tomatoes! I'll be working on two Blazing Beauty vials, Rosy F4, and Sweet Scarlet Dwarf. I sowed seeds for them yesterday- can't wait to see how they turn out!

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2012   #42
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Babington leeks, Ramsons, Rampions,Alexanders, Chou Daubenton perennial cabbage edible carrot leaf,variagated collards and two new runner beans supposed to be a cross between a runner and a common bean. Skirret which I sowed last year I am hoping will be OK for this year..all the above are new to me..mostly perennial for my new perennial patch, and have my fingersc crossed for some tree collards.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2012   #43
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Aside from scads of tomatoes (last year was a record for me at 26 varieties; this year I have 110!) I am looking forward to rat tail radishes, where you eat the seed pods, not the root. I also ordered a bunch of sweet potato trials from Sandhill Preservation.
I grew out the rat tail radishes for the first time this year and really enjoyed them. They varied in intensity from plant to plant, but that just added to their charm for me. I even added some of the very young leaves to some dishes, kind of like mustard greens.

You may be surprised at the size of the plants. They really sprawled all over the place for me. I guess when I was expecting them to stay small like regular radishes.

This year a lot of the garden is new. Growing in bales should be interesting.
Some of the new plants include lettuces, Tatsoi, kales, some of my peppers, and many of my tomatoes, including the dwarves.

One of the ones I'm really excited about is the Zuchetta Rampicante Tromboncino squash. (Heck, just the name is enough to get you excited) It's a member of the same squash family as the butternut, but can be eaten either as a summer squah or as a winter squash. It can get over four feet long.

I'm most excited, though, because it is more resistant to the nasty things that normally destroy my squash, usually before I get more than one or two.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2012   #44
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Trellis it if you want long staright ones , growm them on the ground if uou want some interesting snake like twisted ones.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2012   #45
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Trellis it if you want long staright ones , growm them on the ground if uou want some interesting snake like twisted ones.

XX Jeannine
Thanks for the suggestion, Jeannine. I'm thinking I might use some of those cone-shaped wire tomato cages. Would that work? Or what trellis alternative do you suggest? Just how tall will they get, anyway? I have two sizes of cages.

(I've got several of the tomato cages, but will likely do a Florida Weave for the tomatoes.)
Shawn
FarmerShawn is offline   Reply With Quote