Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 7, 2017   #301
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Very nice Cole,
Is that a tunnel in a tunnel I see?
If so how tough is heat management, and what kind of season extension do you get?
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #302
kaseviergreen
Tomatovillian™

I'm new and posting first time so that I can ultimately see your beautiful seedlings.
kaseviergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #303
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I threw up some hoops over my benches, which sit on stock tanks of water. On nights below about 40 or so, I would cover the benches and place a 1500 watt electric heater underneath them. I can get up to about 25 degrees above the outside temp by heating just a small space.

Another thing I have learned is that plants in 6-packs are much more cold-sensitive than plants in 4" pots or larger. After I have potted up, I can be less careful about the cold. I think it has to do with the bacterial balance in the media, and the larger mass keeps it from getting as cold.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #304
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yours look better than mine. Definitely doing 1 per pot next year and keeping them in the tunnel. Something has been eating the leaves on mine.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #305
bower
Tomatovillian™

Guess I'm late to this party, but here they are FWIW. Out in the greenhouse getting used to it... nighttime temps 47-50 F this week, and daytime highs 60-85 F. Steady rain drizzle and fog, the heat is just from a glimmer of sunshine daily, which suits me perfectly since I've been working in town and not available to open and close. Also hasn't been windy which saved the nights from being toooo cold.
I have sternly cut down on my tomato plans this year - no more than a couple dozen for my greenhouse here (that means likely only a dozen more than two dozen ). But also doing 40 for my friend's farm... and a few for mom.... and of course a few extras. I'm starting to get stoked about plantout time!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hardening-off.JPG (335.8 KB, 75 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #306
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

They're beautiful and not too late, I've not put out a single container yet. What's bottom-right, Matsu Express? Don't know if you got any of that seed, but the biggest potato leaves for a seedling. The Olive Hill has some huge leaves too. Good luck to you this season bower.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #307
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
They're beautiful and not too late, I've not put out a single container yet. What's bottom-right, Matsu Express? Don't know if you got any of that seed, but the biggest potato leaves for a seedling. The Olive Hill has some huge leaves too. Good luck to you this season bower.
I haven't got Matsu Express yet, but will have to grow as I've seen they are gorgeous! Those PL's are F4 of Hope's Early - a red heart out of Kimberley X Zolotye Kupola - or at least I think so! I had a seed mixup... it seems. These were supposed to be F2 of a side cross of Hope's Early that I grew out last year, but seedlings should only be 1/4 PL . Not sure what I'll do with all the extras.

Thanks for the luck and same to you, Ricky! I love this part of the season, and how beautiful tomato plants are before they get stressed with this or that.
Ehhh... I just looked up and see it is SNOWING ... dang it. Looks like a cold morning but hopefully another peep of sun this afternoon to warm them up.
Old May 13, 2017   #308
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Good looking plants bower, i started to set mine out - at least the ones i didn't sunburn hope these that i am putting out don't get too much sun either just this week warm enough to plant, last frost was a week ago. I hope!!
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #309
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

They look good, Bower.
Old May 13, 2017   #310
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Guess I'm late to this party, but here they are FWIW. Out in the greenhouse getting used to it... nighttime temps 47-50 F this week, and daytime highs 60-85 F. Steady rain drizzle and fog, the heat is just from a glimmer of sunshine daily, which suits me perfectly since I've been working in town and not available to open and close. Also hasn't been windy which saved the nights from being toooo cold.
I have sternly cut down on my tomato plans this year - no more than a couple dozen for my greenhouse here (that means likely only a dozen more than two dozen ). But also doing 40 for my friend's farm... and a few for mom.... and of course a few extras. I'm starting to get stoked about plantout time!!!
you "cut down" the same way I do
great looking babies there! here's to warmer weather
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #311
oakley
Tomatovillian™

@Bower. I'm surprised you are not growing to sell. Nice good healthy plants. Or maybe
the need for a greenhouse for toms cuts down on demand?
CanadianTire probably just has basic varieties.
Or maybe you are not that close to town, StJohn's.

I have a few friend that would be happy to take them. Brian and Ella have a hoop house
in their town backyard. They took some of mine last year, even a GGWT. (terrible season
they had last year). BrianRick's the photographer. Not sure where they get their starts.
Most friends just start their own if they want variety.
I keep visualizing a farmers market but that was Halifax.

- i follow your lead as i will be growing a garden there at some point in the next few years....
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #312
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Hopefully this plant isn't a labeling error. It's my Sweet Sue that came up RL instead of PL:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20170514_120102.jpg (270.2 KB, 47 views)
Old May 14, 2017   #313
bower
Tomatovillian™

She's a beauty, Cole! I hope she turns out as you wished... or a wonderful surprise.
@KarenO, I had some trouble with germination this year and not sure whether it was the potting mix or the ill fitting domes but the long and short, I started seeds three times to "make sure" I got what I wanted... ahem. Got a Zena's Gift going into my friend's greenhouse.. can't wait to see them. It's nice to have a hand in a bigger space for the "cutting down" problem.
@Oakley, I'm only 20 minutes from St. John's, and sold a lot of extra pepper and tomato plants for a few years but then I started having pest problems in the house before the plants were ready to leave. Realized that the seals had given out around the windows and need to be re-done, as ants and others were freely getting in (if not nesting over winter in the sills). Still waiting to get that finished, then I may try the market again.
Some of the crosses I'm working on should be stable in a couple of years, you'll have to come and try them for your Bonavista garden. we have a little seed bank of the OPs that worked here so far, too. (little by Tormato standards. )
Old May 14, 2017   #314
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

@ Bower:
Happy you are trying the Zena's gift! I hope you enjoy it, let me know how it does for you!
I started mine early, expect ripe ones in June if all goes well.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #315
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Cole, what ever it is, it is a buet! hope it tastes as good as it looks, clkieper: thanks for the advice - i put them all out and they look fine so far, oakley, bower, gardeneer and all - thaks for the help!
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote