Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old May 10, 2008   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default Age-old debate: Pastes vs Slicers for Canning

I started to hijack Jennifer's thread in the Discussion forum but realized that wasn't what she was asking. I want to hear opinions on what people can and if they use different types for various recipes (say, pastes for sauce and slicers for stewed, etc). I've always canned all my favorite varieties, 99% slicers. What I've come to realize, though, is that after the cooking process, my end product seems a bit over cooked even when slow-simmering and following all the recommendations. That is, when I am making sauces or salsas. I planted a few more paste types this year hoping to help with that. Also, has anyone canned cherry types and how did they hold up?
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008   #2
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

Well the paste tomatoes have less water and more meat, so to speak. By using slicers you have to cook it longer to cook down the liquid. I used both in my sauces. I read in one thread that someone puts their sauce in the refrigerator and then they are able to separate the liquid better to drain off so you won't have to cook it so long.
Old May 11, 2008   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

For the past several years, we have not canned, but have frozen our tomatoes. Big chunks in some freezer bags and small chunks in some and pureed (spelling? for food processed) in other bags. We use ours in chili, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce and tomato soup. Getting lazy in the old age.

I plant nothing especially for these sauces; we use whatever is ripe and all the extra tomatoes get frozen. This year with the emphasis on hearts and blacks it will be an interesting next winter's supply of tomatoes in the freezer.
Old May 11, 2008   #4
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

I put up 100 quarts of stewed tomatoes last year. I usually plant celerberties, betterboys, and goliths for that reason but last year i mixed in cherry and heirloom tomatoes and they were the best ever. I didnt answer your question because the liquid content doesnt matter in stewed tomatoes just wanted to let you know I have canned cherry tomatoes....Gizzard
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008   #5
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Gizzard...wow...100 quarts!! You were really busy! I hope to put up a large quantity this year as well. The plain sauce is the most versatile but I love stewed tomatoes and those generally run out quick too. I'm going to attempt to freeze some salsa this time around as I really don't care for canned. I've tried the Annie's famous salsa several years in a row and while it is the most delicious fresh, it isn't what I'm looking for after being canned. It's the closest I've come, though. I thought some canned whole cherries would be something neat to try, easy to toss with pasta.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008   #6
Denise_in_MI
Tomatovillian™

I usually combine both. If I am just using slicers, I have to cook them down longer.
Old May 19, 2008   #7
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone had a problem [if it can be called a problem] with heirlooms cooking down into a sauce and having to strong of a flavor? As in it need to be diluted. Kinda like as strong as if it was paste. I usually can my paste/plum solid types half/whole [wanting some solid tomatoes] and make sauce out of the others.

I also make Annie's Salsa and like it. I like Andes Horn as one that makes a good solid pack canner and sauce. It's also great fresh eating.
Old May 19, 2008   #8
Suze
Tomatovillian™

If I cook down to the sauce stage to put up, it is usually frozen in ziplocks that are laid flat. This is because I've found that while short-term freezing affects texture, it has little affect on flavor. For sauce, it doesn't matter that much (imo), and a lot of ziplocks are much easier for me to store in my garage freezer than in the pantry. Otherwise, I half tomatoes, and can per safe/accepted instructions.

Anyway, for saucing or canning, I use whatever happens to be piling up on the counter. Knocking out the seeds and juice in the locules of juicier tomatoes can save time in having to cook down tomatoes for sauce. Doing so will also make for a less watery canned result. You can combine this task with any needed seedsaving, if you want.

I also use a large spoon/ladle to occasionally take off the water that tends to float to the top when cooking down for sauce. When it is time to stir, I ladle off the water on the top first. That way I don't have to cook them to death to make a non-watery sauce.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008   #9
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

The biggest problem that I have noticed with using many of the beefsteak type tomatoes is that when I can them as "just tomatoes" - either whole or diced - I end up with the tomato meat floating on top of jar. They taste fine, but they look terrible.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008   #10
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

There is a specific tomato type that is used in Italy for canned sauces. San Marzano and plums (Romas are from the US NOT Italy) are used for whole and diced tomato canning; fat-bottomed Italians (my nickname) are used for sauces. Ernie's Plump, Provenzano, Sicilian Saucer, Barcaroli are in the latter category. Big, fat beefsteak (think Brandywine/Stump of the World for size) but with solid often sweet meat and few seeds. Oven roasting is traditional and yields the best, un-watered down flavour whatever variety you choose to use. Just remember to leave the cooking pot lid off so that moisture evaporates naturally.

Jennifer
Old May 20, 2008   #11
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I only make sauce (may try stewing some this year). I use any tomato that's collecting on the counter...usually slicers.

They go through an electric tomato strainer to remove skins and seeds. Then poured into a sieve to drain the water off. The sauce is very thick without the need for endless boiling.

The water is saved for making soup.

Zeuspaul
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2009   #12
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

When canning I like to use Juliets. They fill the jars nice and dont cook down so you end up with a full jar after processing. I did some slicers once and even quartered the jars had lots of empty space after processing.
My son and I have a record of 114 quarts in one day from picking to finished product. We averaged 33 Juliets per quart. Started picking about 9 am and finished processing 11 pm. What a day!
I am growing San Marzano Redorta this year and will try some of these as well as more juliets.
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2009   #13
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

I tend to use whatever I have on hand for canning whatever I choose to can LOL
That said, what they are does effect how I prepare them. If I have mostly slicing tomatoes and I'm making sauce, I will seed, chop/grind them, drain, freeze overnight, defrost and drain, and then proceed. The freezing seems to help remove more of the water. Still have to siphon it off with my turkey baster though.
If I'm making stewed tomatoes and they're sturdy paste types, I will lower the temp and cook them a little longer so they soften.
Hot packing the tomatoes helps with floating.
This year I thought that I would like to can some whole peeled, so I'm planting some Campari seed that I saved and we'll see what we get.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote