Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 5, 2013   #1
Michelle
Tomatovillian™

Default Old Seed New Start

recently I rec'vd a package in the mail from a great friend of mine. This package contained Jung's Giant Climbing Tomato seeds among others as well. The package is original and dated 1941. There are probably between 30 and 40 seeds in the package.

I live in MN and there is a lot of snow here right now. I need you experts to help me get these wonderful little gems to germinate.

I have a few ideas but after reading some of the posts on here I highly doubt that my heat, tea, great starting mix will do the trick so let me have it. And if this post is NOT in the correct area please move it or I can repost it in the correct area.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If you can get them to germinate they'll be 20+ years older than the current record which is 50 years.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2013   #3
Michelle
Tomatovillian™

Any ideas on what I can do to help them along? I have hope and some ideas but you all are the Tomatovillians that I've been looking for. It would be so cool if I do get a few, at least to come to fruition. I have a place that I can completely isolate them by minimum a mile. Yay! Jungs doesn't even offer the seed any longer.
Old March 6, 2013   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
Any ideas on what I can do to help them along? I have hope and some ideas but you all are the Tomatovillians that I've been looking for. It would be so cool if I do get a few, at least to come to fruition. I have a place that I can completely isolate them by minimum a mile. Yay! Jungs doesn't even offer the seed any longer.
The seeds are very likely dead and no amount of reviving can save them.

But you CAN try.

NCTomatoman perfected one method. I have a similar method. I'll tell you mine and he can tell you his. His is probably better though.

I take the seeds and rinse with bleach water to kill any mold spores on the outside. Then rinse with cold clean water. Then I put the seeds in a small jar (no lid) of COLD nutrient solution of chemical fertilizer and COLD water (like Miracle Grow) and let them sit till they swell and sink. Then I take them and plant in cells with soil-less seed starting medium high in light weight things like perlite and/or vermiculite. JUST barely under the surface! Only a sprinkle on top. They will be VERY weak if still alive and won't be able to push up through very much soil. I set that on a heating pad (about 80-85 degrees) and loosely drape saran wrap on top. Make sure it gets PLENTY of sunlight. Also check it several times a day by removing the saran wrap and replacing it to allow plenty of fresh air in.

Remember lots of air and lots of sun but keep them moist by being under the saran wrap and keep the temperature in the soil-less mix about 80-85 degrees. Might take a month or more.

I personally think it will be a miracle if they are still alive, but you can pray for a miracle!

PS Typically I only use organic methods, but this is a special case when organic methods will probably just rot the seeds. So for waking up VERY old seeds I would make an exception. But once they sprouted I would quickly give them a bath with organic inoculants!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2013   #5
Michelle
Tomatovillian™

Redbaron(scott)- Thanks for the advise. I'm excited to just see what happens. I am going to start them this week to see if any of those little lovely seeds decide to come to life. The really cool thing is they tomato variety is no longer available. Ohhhh that'd be fun. Here's to hope and a lot of good old fashioned time and patience.

I will use your method and keep all posted.
I'll take picts along the way too so that we can all drool over the possibility. And if nothing happens then it'll be fun just for the giggles of it.

Michelle