Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 13, 2012   #1
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Default question re: synthetic and organic ferts

I wish to move to synthetic based ferts for my EBs and containers. I have more organic ferts around than I can quickly use up in the ground. My question is if I mix in some of the organic solid ferts with the synthetic solid ferts in my containers, will that nuke any beneficial microbes that may be in the organic ferts? Thanks.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #2
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

excuse my confusion but if you are moving to synthetic/chemical based nutes why does it matter?

I'll take em off your hands
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #3
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have some organics I would like to use up mixed in with synthetic but if the synthetic kills microbes, than it would seem my organic base fert would not have much to contribute, lacking microbes to break it down. If that is the case, I will use it up in the dirt.
Old June 13, 2012   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Linda, I think it has been pretty well established from studies over the years that synthetic fertilizers diminish the population of beneficial microbes and organic inputs increase their numbers. It's not that the synthetic fertilizers kill microbes, it is cases where a of lack of new organic matter in the soil in favor of synthetics only that reduces their numbers.
I don't see a problem with mixing the two, the beneficial microbes will still be their breaking down the organics, but probably they won't be as numerous as it would be with organics only.

Last edited by RayR; June 13, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I see some solid fert manufacturers mix both types also so I will go ahead with my blend.
Old June 17, 2012   #6
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Linda can I ask why you have decided to switch?

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2012   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

If you are going to use synthetic ferts keep the (P) Phosphorus down as if it is high in Phosphorus it can cause problems with the microbes. I'm assuming your looking for immediate nutrient availability to the plant in going to synthetic ferts.
Just remember that in SWC's (EB's/Tainer's) your growing in a closed system with no drainage compared to open containers and salt build up from your synthetic ferts can be a problem. Ami
Old June 17, 2012   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I am puzzled why anyone would choose to switch from organic fertilizers to chemical except maybe for cost reasons or having had poor results with organics despite trying several different types.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2012   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I think it is a fair statement that, all things being equal, any gardener would prefer to "be organic." But alas, I am not a spring chicken. I still work and I am pretty active in a volunteer situation. I had a really poor year with organic ferts in my EBs this year. My plants were clearly lacking nutrition and more disease than I have ever had, despite a relatively dry spring.

I have been around forums long enought to understand it is certainly possible to grow organic in containers. Many of you do a wonderful job of it. It seems however that is is much more complicated and costly. Many more things to go wrong and then, once the nutrition is off, everything goes to,.....well, you know. So, as far as container gardening goes, all things are not very equal, at least to me!

I grow in Earthboxes and I do place the synthetic ferts in a nylon stocking for easy removal at the end of a season. Ami, I just read about the effects of high P. Interestingly, some fertilizer manufacturers are touting synthetic and organic blends in their solid fert line.
Old June 18, 2012   #10
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Linda, I see your point and EB's' are a different animal and the recommended fertilizer strip requirement when setting up your EB initially does not lend itself well to organic ferts as it is a one time application. Do what works best for you. In open containers organic ferts is no problem which I do most of my growing in. Ami
Old June 18, 2012   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ami! Actually, I am still setting up orgainics in a couple of my open containers, and I hope to get a few raised beds in for next year which will certainly be organic. But my EBs are going to be synthetic for the foreseeable future.
Old June 18, 2012   #12
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I use time release synthetics exclusively in my containers with great results. But I would love to get similar results with organics. I wont hijack this thread but I'm interested in how people do it organic in traditional containers with great results.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2012   #13
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Hijack away! Ami probably has a great system would luv the details. I just mix in some stuff that is bad for container drainage like compost. Now most of my containers are time release also. Damon, I forgot to ask you before, you use 1 Tbsp per gallon, anything else?
Old June 18, 2012   #14
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I arrived at using organic fertilizers in my raised beds out of the logic of building up healthy soil that plants will thrive in. I also felt like I was making a long-term investment by improving the soil that would pay off in future years. But that doesn't really work if I'm moving every few years.

I'm returning stateside soon, and for my first season back, I am seriously considering Homemade Earthboxes. Earthboxes, I understand, are a whole different animal than raised beds. The 'rules' are different. *switches to Learning mode*

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2012   #15
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
I use time release synthetics exclusively in my containers with great results. But I would love to get similar results with organics. I wont hijack this thread but I'm interested in how people do it organic in traditional containers with great results.

Damon
I use the Espoma fertilizers as well as Neptunes Harvest. When I initially set up my containers I mix the fertilizer right in the mix. As the season progresses I scratch it in the top few inches. I foliar feed with Neptunes Harvest throughout the summer and my containers do very well.

I am a first year Earth Box user as so far couldn't be happier. There has been no disease so far and the growth has been nothing short of amazing. I have peppers in the ground as well as an EB and the EB peppers are more than five times the size of the ones in the ground. I set my EB up as instructed with the the Espoma products, I foliar feed with the Neptunes Harvest and at the same time I throw two tablespoons down the tube.

The plants look so healthy and are lush, full and my tomatoes are loaded with flowers, eggplant is the same way. The Aunt Molly's are insane, they are so big and my kids will never begin to eat all the fruits on them.

Last edited by Chrissykin; June 18, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote