Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old May 16, 2006   #1
COgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden spacing, pot size for Aunt Molly's and Goldie

I've got several seedlings each of Aunt Molly's and Goldie. I'll be planting a few of each in my garden and my sister wants to try some in pots. How far apart should I plant them in my garden? What size pot would be best? Please give pot size in inches diameter and inches tall. Even though I have a link to a measurement conversion site, the whole one gallon, two gallon thing always sort of leaves me scratching my head. From what I've seen most pots aren't labelled with a gallon designation. Thanks!

Kurt
COgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Garden spacing, pot size for Aunt Molly's and Goldie

Kurt, I'm kind of new to ground cherries too, but I'll take a stab at your question. First off, I decided that I wanted to try these in containers only first, as they are rather prolific reseeders.

Also (from what I have read), most varieties get around 12" tall and about 18" wide. So if planting in the garden, I'd think you could get away with 12" to 24" spacing.

I figured that these should work in five gallon containers -- so far, so good. I placed two Aunt Molly's together in a ten gallon container (long rectangle, like a large flower box - ~12" wide x 25" long x 9" deep) several weeks ago and they are doing quite well. Then I started some Cossack Pineapple from seed (they really do grow fast) and also put two of those together in a similar rectangular ten gallon container a couple of weeks ago.

Also, a five gallon bucket is about 12" in diameter by 15" deep.

Hope this gives you a point of reference.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2009   #3
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I have planted tomatillos for years and planted in the ground, mine get 5 foot or better tall and at least three feet around. I plant mine 2 feet apart so that they offer support to each other as fruit is easily dislodged. In a container, the plants may stay smaller. They are robust re-seeders and if not staked, they sprawl all over the place.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2009   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing Aunt Molly's for years and they don't get nearly as big as Tomatillos even tho they are related.

I let my field Molly's sprawl on the ground and they get about 18" to 24" around max. I have also grown Aunt Molly's in 2 gal pots with a decent degree of success. For me, that would be a 1000 or 1200 size "nursery" pot, those lightweight black or green pots perennials come in. I don't have any nearby to measure them, sorry.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2009   #5
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

Pot size estimations, from gardenerscorner.org

2 gallon 8 3/4 x 8 1/2 inches (first dimension is depth - 2nd is
width)

3 gallon 10 x 9 inches

5 gallon 12 x 11 1/4 inches

10 gallon 15 3/4 x 13 inches

15 gallon 17 1/4 x 15 inches

20 gallon 20 x 17 inches