Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2018   #1
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default How safe?

To plant a couple plants fifteen feet from a fence where I sprayed a heavy dose of weed killer for poison ivy last July?
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #2
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Take some of the soil where you are going to plant and try to germinate a few pea or bean seeds in it. They are very sensitive to herbicide contamination. If they grow and look good, you should be OK. You can start a parallel pot using soil you trust for comparision.

https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/g...t-contaminants
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I think one of the big issues would be what weed killer did you use? If it was one with 2-4-D in it you might not be able to plant tomatoes there for years. If it was Roundup then you should be fine. I have no first hand knowledge of other weed killers but have used Roundup to clear an area of Bermuda grass and planted in it a few weeks later with no ill effects to the tomatoes. I had a friend ruin part of his garden with 2-4-D from some cow manure and he had to dig out the soil because beans and tomatoes would not grow where he had used the manure.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #4
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default How safe

thanks
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

The weed killer bottle ought to say how close and when you can plant. Something like "don't eat anything within 15 ft of sprayed area, for 4 months." or something to that effect.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote