Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old July 13, 2009   #16
Frog
Tomatovillian™

I grow a variety I have always known as White Peach, it is an ivory almost translucent peach skinned tomato, with a sweet fruity taste. Is it a cultivar anyone else knows or is it another renaming?

Here's a picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july25 022.jpg (186.3 KB, 39 views)
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2009   #17
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Could be very similar to or another name for the variety Transparent, though the tomato in your pic is whiter.
Old July 14, 2009   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

There is a variety called Peche Blanche, as in white Peach and several links to it can be found by Googling and here's one of them; just scroll down to the bottom for the name:

http://www.labourdaisiere.com/en/the...tory-of-tomato

And it's also listed in the SSE Yearbook as Peche blanche and the most recent description of it is as follows:

80 days, indet,regular leaf, 2 oz, round/square white fruit with yellow tint, lots of seeds, fuzzy thin skin, sweet excellent flavor, very productive ( and the seed source was an SSE member in Belgium)
Old July 15, 2009   #19
Frog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
There is a variety called Peche Blanche, as in white Peach and several links to it can be found by Googling and here's one of them; just scroll down to the bottom for the name:

http://www.labourdaisiere.com/en/the...tory-of-tomato

And it's also listed in the SSE Yearbook as Peche blanche and the most recent description of it is as follows:

80 days, indet,regular leaf, 2 oz, round/square white fruit with yellow tint, lots of seeds, fuzzy thin skin, sweet excellent flavor, very productive ( and the seed source was an SSE member in Belgium)
Sounds likely, the description is spot on, my original seed source was French, so it looks like my 'white peach' is just a translation of the French name. It's one of my favourite toms, my daughter loves them, they're very sweet.

They have a somewhat un-tomato, but delicious, taste, tasting more like a tropical fruit. Thin skin and thick flesh and are crammed with big seeds.

The fruit are whiter than the one appears to be in my photo.
Old July 15, 2009   #20
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

They have a somewhat un-tomato, but delicious, taste, tasting more like a tropical fruit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh that sounds like something I would like very much. It also sounds better than the "Garden Peach" that I now grow. I'll be looking for them this winter if anyone wants to trade.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2009   #21
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Thats funny, I found a variety at my local nursery that was labled as "Peach Tree" that looks and tastes very much like Frog is describing. Spot on with the un-tomato taste, more like a tropical fruit taste, with lots of seeds and oh so sweet. If left on the vine for a long time I've noticed they turn a deep yellow. Anyways, I saved a ton of seed if anybody is interested.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2009   #22
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

I would like to try the peach tree, it sounds like something my gradkids would enjoy.

for trade:
black cherry
black from tula
lime green salad
kellogg's breakfast
garden peach (yellow with a blush when real ripe,fuzzy skin)
sophie's choice
kosovo
NAR

pm me if you are interested.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2009   #23
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

One question about the White Peach and/or Peach Tree -- how firm or soft is it when reasonably ripe ??

I ask because Garden Peach and Red Garden Peach are so soft that they are hardly "transportable". By the time they get to a market they tend to be bruised and nearly mush. They are fine for a home grower but not very good for a market grower.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2009   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
Thats funny, I found a variety at my local nursery that was labled as "Peach Tree" that looks and tastes very much like Frog is describing. Spot on with the un-tomato taste, more like a tropical fruit taste, with lots of seeds and oh so sweet. If left on the vine for a long time I've noticed they turn a deep yellow. Anyways, I saved a ton of seed if anybody is interested.

Damon
Damon, I've never seen a variety called Peach Tree, but we are talking California here and over the years the ingenuity of CA folks with regard to variety names has amazed me.

I know of:

Garden Peach
Peche Blanche
Peach
Peche Jaune
Red Peach
Pink Peach
Yellow Peach
Peach Blow Sutton
Peche
Peaches and Cream

.... but alas no Peach Tree other than ones I spent time at the top of in the peach orchards we had at home just gulping down down sun ripened fruits and getting itchy from all the peach fuzz.

Of the ones I've grown above it would be Garden Peach which I didn't think much of and Peach Blow Sutton which looks just like a peach as to coloring and not that different from the variety called Nectarine which I've also grown.

As for white peaches, aka flattened fruits also called Saturn peaches, they should start to be seen in our local stores soon, and those I LOVE. We had two white peach trees in the orchards at home where I was raised and a man from a nursery came each year to cut scions b'c I guess they were quite rare. Same size and exterior coloration of Elberta's and all others, but a white, meltingly delicious interior.

Ah, the memories.

And how to differentiate all the ones I listed above? Who knows unless they are all grown out at the same time in the same season by the same person.
Old July 16, 2009   #25
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Neva- No trade needed, but thanks, just pm me and I'll send them out.

Carol- They are on the soft side but have that really sweet flavor from the time their light yellow to deep yellow. They are a little less soft when they are light yellow but they do get fairly soft in a matter of a day or two.

Carolyn- "Peach Tree" may in fact be one of the varieties you listed above. But I sure as heck aint gonna grow them all out to compare, lol. How's the garden coming, did your helper get all your tomatoes planted? Should I send you a care package to hold you over?

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2009   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
Neva- No trade needed, but thanks, just pm me and I'll send them out.

Carol- They are on the soft side but have that really sweet flavor from the time their light yellow to deep yellow. They are a little less soft when they are light yellow but they do get fairly soft in a matter of a day or two.

Carolyn- "Peach Tree" may in fact be one of the varieties you listed above. But I sure as heck aint gonna grow them all out to compare, lol. How's the garden coming, did your helper get all your tomatoes planted? Should I send you a care package to hold you over?

Damon
Yes, all of the plants got out, three weeks late, and Black Cherry bit the dust but most of the others that were reasonably sized plants are hanging in there in this lousy weather. Some of the smaller plants are sitting there and not doing anything.

The major concern now is Late Blight as you've seen me and other post about in various threads here/.

I'ts clear that August and Septemeber will have to be frost free in order for me to get anything and the statistical probability of that happening are low indeed. Not one single blossom on any plant and the bigger ones maybe just a foot and a half tall.
Old July 17, 2009   #27
Frog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
One question about the White Peach and/or Peach Tree -- how firm or soft is it when reasonably ripe ??

I ask because Garden Peach and Red Garden Peach are so soft that they are hardly "transportable". By the time they get to a market they tend to be bruised and nearly mush. They are fine for a home grower but not very good for a market grower.

Carol

They go soft, but the skin is quite strong despite being thin. Never having had to move them further than from my garden to my mouth I'm not sure how well they'd do stacked a few deep in a box.

I'm happy to send seed to anyone that wants any, I have lots. Even if you get some 'Peach tree' seeds it may be worth getting mine too, so you can compare them and see if they appear to be the same variety. I can imagine that my French line may be somewhat different from a Californian line, even if they were once the same.

If anyone wants any just PM me their address and I'll send them out. I don't need anything in return, but I am always on the lookout for something new; bit of a seedaholic me.
Old July 18, 2009   #28
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Default seed

double post, sorry
Old July 18, 2009   #29
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Default SEED

Frog, I would like to compare the 2 next year. I will report the outcome, I haven't learned to upload pictures yet. Who knows that may happen next year too.

thanks,

neva