Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 9, 2007   #1
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Default Forgotten Nepali Orange

First off, can't believe I haven't asked this previously. The question(s) will come quickly after I conclude my prerequisite ramblings. This pepper is one of my favorites...have lots of faves but this one is like way up there amigo!! To make a short story long I requested Nepali Orange out of the 2006 SSE Yearbook. My fellow member was exceedingly generous with the sample packet.

Received well in excess of 200 seeds. Unfortunately I don't have the exact number of seed I sowed last season regarding this cultivar but my guess is within 5%. 40 seeds were sowed and an absolute minimum of 25 germinated. Soon after, I became completely overwhelmed due to being overly ambitious and the birth of our daughter in mid May. Sadly, I wound up culling all but the two most promising seedlings due to time and space constraints.

Included are the pictures of the two Nepali Orange plants of 2006. Seed was saved and this years' plants are taking after last years. I have 5 plants this year showing erect fruits, seed was from the original Nepali producing erect fruits. I have 4 plants showing pendant fruits(had 5 seedlings..don't ask, LOL!!), seed was from the plant producing pendant fruits.

Is this just dumb luck?? Was or is there a low probability of this happenin'? Last years plants were not properly isolated to ensure seed purity...but this seasons are. Proficiency in mathematics waived bye bye to me long ago and my understanding of genetics is slowly leaving the Dark Ages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July pepps and tomatoes 029.jpg (131.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg abby and hail 008.jpg (202.4 KB, 48 views)
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote