Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 5, 2021   #376
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I don't recall having whiteflies until about 5 to 8 years ago. Two things that might of made a difference are the neighbors putting in a small green house and my raspberry patch volunteered into the vegetable garden and I let them stay. Our winters have gotten milder too so maybe they are overwintering. I have an attached sunroom and have not noticed whiteflies there but if I overwinter plants I have aphids. I'm in a warmer valley than most parts of Wyoming and high desert.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2021   #377
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I already have one plant showing TSWV signs. It is only two feet tall and until day before yesterday looked outstandingly healthy. It still looks good except for the rusting look in some of the leaves and a slight change in the new growth. I wish it was another variety but it is my only Brandywine Cowlick's that I have planted so far this season. It is one of my very favorite large pink beefsteaks and it is almost always one of the most productive. I am in the process of potting up grafted plants and I hope that most of the varieties that survived the grafting this year are varieties that do well in the heat because I will be at the very least seven weeks behind my usual set out date this year. Plants put out in May and June down here better be able to take the heat and humidity and still produce decently.

I am sure this is just the first of many plants I will have to remove due to TSWV. It seems, for my garden at least, natures way of thinning out my plantings of tomatoes every year now.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2021   #378
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had to pull that Brandywine Cowlick's two days ago. The TSWV moved very quickly and the plant was fading fast. Today I was tying up plants and found the second plant with TSWV and it is an African Queen. I was so hoping I wouldn't see another for a while but no such luck. I am planning to start setting out my grafted plants this week or this weekend.

Bill
Old May 4, 2021   #379
brooksville
Tomatovillian™

We pulled on this weekend. No flowers!!
brooksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2021   #380
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had to remove five plants with TSWV from my first bed of grafted tomatoes yesterday and since the plants were only five weeks in the ground I replaced them immediately. I have a couple of others that may be sick but so far the only symptom showing on them is they are smaller than the surrounding plants which could be nothing so I will keep a close eye on them. As of now my TSWV loses are running at slightly less than 10% so nothing much beyond what I expect every year now. I have set out more plants than normal this year so even if the loses get as high as 20% or 25% it won't be a tragedy. I would love it if it stayed as low as it is now which is basically my minimum lose each year to TSWV. I have also been hit really hard by fusarium wilt in my earliest bed of tomatoes which was the only one with non grafted plants I set out this year. At least half of them are being affected by fusarium and I have already had almost a third of them die from it. Out of 23 plants in that bed only about six seem unaffected by either fusarium wilt or TSWV.

Bill
Old June 17, 2021   #381
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

This kellog's breakfast was picked up from the nursery here in coastal southern california. Can't tell if this is stressed or TSWV or something similar? Take it back or try it? Destined for container.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tswv potential.jpg (118.3 KB, 193 views)
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2021   #382
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

I posted pictures last year. The disease came back. Is it TSWV?
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20210712-WA0006.jpg (124.7 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20210712-WA0007.jpg (93.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20210712-WA0008.jpg (124.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20210712-WA0009.jpg (125.3 KB, 171 views)
atilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2021   #383
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

Here is another picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20210713-WA0003.jpg (162.3 KB, 161 views)
Old July 14, 2021   #384
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Hello! My son lives in Eregli! Have you had a lot of rain? That looks like a blight to me, but I have not had one here in California. I did pull a few purplish leaved plants last year thinking TMSV, but they did not have any spots or splotches, and no wilting.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 14, 2021 at 02:28 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2021   #385
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Eregli is close to my home town. It could be combination of two diseases I have searched the net not one single disease seems to fit the symptoms.

Last edited by atilgan; July 18, 2021 at 05:08 AM.
Old January 17, 2022   #386
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

What we have could be a new virus called tomato necrotic spot virus. Not to be confused with inpatient necrotic spot virus which is related to TSWV. I wish they had better pictures describing these diseases.
Old April 27, 2022   #387
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have already lost one plant to TSWV a German Queen and suspect another is infected. The first sign of the disease on smaller plants is they fall behind in growth usually before the other symptoms appear. My 14 plants had only been in the garden a few weeks when I noticed the slower than normal growth with my German Queen and Neves Azorean Red. I pulled the GQ two days ago when the leaf changes confirmed my diagnosis of TSWV and I am pretty sure the NAR will be showing the signs within a day or two. Both plants are about 18 inches tall while the other 12 are easily three feet tall.

Bill
Old April 27, 2022   #388
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello b54red
I am sorry about your infected Plants.
Is it possible you planted too early? Because I am just putting my plants slowly in the ground here in Virginia only if they show signs of strength serving cold nights outside.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2022   #389
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Hello b54red
I am sorry about your infected Plants.
Is it possible you planted too early? Because I am just putting my plants slowly in the ground here in Virginia only if they show signs of strength serving cold nights outside.
No it is just TSWV which hits anywhere from 10% of my plants in a good year to 30% to 40% in a bad year. I have known a few people who lost every plant within a two week period to TSWV. Since I plant a lot of plants and stagger my plantings from March through July so far I haven't had a year where I lost more than around 30% to TSWV.
It is just one of the many things you deal with growing tomatoes down here near the gulf coast.

Bill
Old April 27, 2022   #390
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

My prayers are with you and your garden.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote